Acceptable electrical installation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikejc

Reaction score
Hello,

With this cord running out of this box about 4 feet long with a plug on the end. Is this acceptable:

GzYnGUBbw6fonKRhUNRdDzaj1lqhKT4I6jxgGZq_l3SEvOFDzlIEh2BTjIpaN0PI_goC9s9Nc9flUaTNemJX=w1920-h949-rw

Attachments

• IMG_6553.JPG
    IMG_6553.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To attach a photo, during composing, scroll down to "upload a file" from your computer rather than trying to paste it in place.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
This is not allowed! Right from the get go I’ve seen this too many times in Florida. Many 5kw portable generators have his 220-240volt twist lock receptacle and they sometimes come with a power cord with this on one end and four standard three prong plugs for 120 v on each plug.

So the previous owner, some are really dumb, wired this in so it can be plugged into the generator. The real problem is on the other end and it probably ends up somewhere in your electric breaker panel to feed circuits for a power outage. All depending how it is wired you manually throw breakers including the mains, fire up the generator and plug it in. Could be very dangerous not knowing how it is wired. Another problem there are two pipe and one MC cable and it what are they for? Just too many unknowns and any suggestions on this forum can only reply with safety first considerations.

Now smart ones will install a UL approved transfer switch. You still manually throw breakers but it is designed so that generated power cannot be feed back to the pole or utility company. If you have this then what you should have is a cord with this twist lock of female and male on each end. The connection to the house should be a female twist lock receptical in a weather or damp rated enclosure. This will prevent this cord from orrosion by the weather and keep any kid from fooling with it. Also, if it is not wired correctly to the breaker panel it could allow live voltage present on the exposed blades.

Now this plug can be for something else but I doubt it. From my iPhone I could not copy an image from the Home Depot site from their app. Go th the HD site and search on Generac GP 5500 and you’ll see the power cord as I mentioned.

Go to Amazon and search for “Reliance
Controls Corporation 31410CRK” for the transfer switch.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
This is not allowed! Right from the get go I’ve seen this too many times in Florida. Many 5kw portable generators have his 220-240volt twist lock receptacle and they sometimes come with a power cord with this on one end and four standard three prong plugs for 120 v on each plug.
OP did not yet successfully post a photo, and did not describe the connector, other than to indicate that it was a receptacle rather than what I had posted a photo of. So it may be just a pendant receptacle.

I posted the yellow plug picture as a possibility/speculation that would have matched the original description.

Mikejc

Reaction score
Sorry, was unaware that you needed a picture of the receptacle on the end of it. It basically looks like the picture I included. It is a single female plug rated at 15 amp 120 volt.

Attachments

• 51y+uPIPULL._SL1049_.jpg
    51y+uPIPULL._SL1049_.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 340

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Plug or no plug, flexible cord like that is to be used only for temporary, portable wiring. Permanent wiring (such as
that entering a fixed junction box as shown) must use one of the allowed methods listed in Chapter 3 of the National
Electrical Code (locally adopted exceptions aside).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks