Acceptable Double Sink Garbage Disposal/P Trap Config?

Users who are viewing this thread

markskovorodko

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a few weeks out from installing a new sink base cabinet, double basin sink, and garbage disposal (to be located on the right sink basin). We just had a plumber rough in new supply and drain lines as we're moving the sink to a new location in the kitchen. The plumber installed new leftward-pointing 45° drain line on the garage disposal side of the sink cabinet, and did so because he recommends the below configuration for the P trap (as far as I understood from my conversation with him):

disposer-down-drain-2.jpg

disposer-down-drain-1.jpg

He also may have meant this configuration below:

disposer-center-drain-1.jpg

In any case, he claimed that locating the P trap closer to the garbage disposal would mean food remnants from the disposal would have less horizontal distance to clear before draining through the P trap.

However, on all the other threads I've found on this forum regarding double sink garbage disposal installs, the below configuration (which I assume is the more traditional configuration) is shown:

sink_dw_hot.jpg

All that said, are there any significant issues with Configuration 1 (first two images) or Configuration 2 (third image) that I'm unaware of? The plumber's reasoning seems to make sense but maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks all in advance!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
number 4 allows for higher rough in. which helps create space under cabinet. however many claims that function not as well as pic 1 or 2 . My experience I don't run into the last one often and have only done a few that way . I keep one of those straight disposer kits in my stock "just in case"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks