Acceptable depth/overlap of toilet flange barrel onto drain pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave5574

Reaction score
Hi,

After replacing some rotten subfloor and new cement board, I was laying out my tile, cut the hole, and dry fitting my flange on top of the tile as I've read is the proper method.

My concern is now that the flange will be sitting higher than it was orignally installed (which was flush on sub-floor below the cement board and tile). The 4" "barrel" I guess as it's called of the Oatey flange won't go as deep or as far over the 3" drain line.

What is the acceptable overlap? Should I try to find one that has a longer barrel? I marked a pencil line and it's just over 1/2" overlap in the attached photo.

Thanks again!

flange.png

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
1/2" is too little IMO. A 3" hub is 1-1/2" deep, that's the target overlap. 1-1/4" would be fine, 1" would be marginal.

Seems like you either need a longer 3" hub end flange, or possibly a 3" spigot end flange and a 3" coupling.

Cheers, Wayne

Dave5574

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll wait on my project then and visit my local plumbing supplier tomorrow and ask about what you mention. Hopefully they have what you are referring to and this is common enough there is a good solution.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll wait on my project then and visit my local plumbing supplier tomorrow and ask about what you mention. Hopefully they have what you are referring to and this is common enough there is a good solution.
Take your current flange with you, that tells you the distance between the top of the pipe and the top of the finish floor.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
it's cheating ...... but glue a 3 inch coupling on then a piece of 4 inch pipe on over the coupling and then use a regular 4 inch closet ring works good I never had issue, Just verify that the 4 inch pipe has good fit with OD of coupling and that it has ample amount of glued surface and plenty of glue. The fit I believe is just a tad sloppy , but never had a problem with it. I've had to do this where only option was cracking the slab or cutting drywall

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks