AC Fan Not Running, Thinking Capacitor, but..

Users who are viewing this thread

Milanomike

Reaction score
Got a 15 year old Tempstar (Model CA5536VKD2) where the compressor will run but not the fan. Fan is not seized. I had a local guy service it over the years, and we are both thinking capacitor issue. Trouble is, he doesn't have one and it's late on Saturday, wife going to be unhappy as it is warming up here.

The capacitor in the unit is a 40uF + 3uF, a big fat one. Seems like a 40 + 3 is not that common, cannot not get until Wednesday. However, 40 + 5 seems pretty common. Can I run a 40 + 5 instead of the 40 + 3? Maybe for just a couple of days, assuming I could score one?

thanks.

Mike

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I have a 14 year Tempstar but I'm not at that home to check the model number. I doubt it's the the start/run cap but they are so cheap replace it anyway. In the outside condenser unit there is a small circuit board so the fan can run on one of two speeds. My was fried one day. My A/C buddy removed it and put the power right to one of the the two wires (high speed) of the two speed motor. If that doesn't do it then it is the motor. A bad cap the fan motor will run but very slow. I think the normal speed it 900 rpm and slow is 700 rpm. That two speed fan push the SEER rating to 12 (big time in 2002).

Here is a bad cap. Notice the top of it is swollen. Check yours, If it looks normal it can still be bad.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks