ABS water closet "Knock Out" what a pain..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Rotaris

If its not broke, fix it until it is!
Reaction score
Hello all. Newbie here so go easy on me:)

Being a perfectionist and a complete amateur, I have a question regarding the Knock-out of a 4x3 Abs toilet flange.
I do believe it will take me longer to remove the knockout than install the whole bathroom.
Couple questions:

1. I am not clear on how to "clean-up" the edges of the knockout.
2. Should the "knock-out" be all the way to the edge of the flange for a smooth transition? Is my hole to small?
there is a rather large raised lip so I think size is correct? Seems crappy (no pun) to have a "Lip for waste/paper to "Hang-up" on???
Thank you in Advance

Attachments

• IMG_3759.JPG
    IMG_3759.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 2,237
  • IMG_3760.JPG
    IMG_3760.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 677

Reach4

Reaction score
If you have not yet installed it, replace it with a better flange -- one that has a metal (stainless steel is better) ring.

That does not look like a Sioux Chief or Oatey. Name and shame that piece you bought.

If you already glued it in, you could hit it with a curved rasp.

Rotaris

Reaction score
"plumber installed" right after my concrete was poured:( ...its in my garage) so its there to stay!
So just to be clear...should the opening be all the way to the "Wall" of the pipe?
If yes, I could take a "punch" all around the outside edge??
Sure seems like it is "Supposed" to be to the little recessed edge...
I just dont like the "lip" it is going to have.
Double checked name:
Manufactur name says "canplas" in Canada eh!???
Yikes wish I had asked some questions before he put it in...

Attachments

• IMG_3762.JPG
    IMG_3762.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 824

Rotaris

Reaction score
"plumber installed" right after my concrete was poured:( ...its in my garage) so its there to stay!
So just to be clear...should the opening be all the way to the "Wall" of the pipe?
If yes, I could take a "punch" all around the outside edge??
Sure seems like it is "Supposed" to be to the little recessed edge...
I just dont like the "lip" it is going to have.
Double checked name:
Manufactur name says "canplas" in Canada eh!???
Yikes wish I had asked some questions before he put it in...

Rotaris

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4! great idea with the rasp..worked great. New build so just hit the drain with the shop vac and all good. Figured out once I started using the rasp that the closet flange doesn't need to be "Wide" open.

With out using the rasp I wouldn't have "Felt" the edge and known when to stop.
Vormax RH EL installed!
Been hoping for a toilet in the shop for many years....wow no more running to the house!

Great site thanks again!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, the outlet of the toilet horn is likely in the 2" range, and the hole is at least 3". IOW, when installed normally, the toilet output is going down the center of the hole, so there'd be nothing to catch on the rough edges. It will be fine as it is, but you could clean it up if you want.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, the outlet of the toilet horn is likely in the 2" range, and the hole is at least 3". IOW, when installed normally, the toilet output is going down the center of the hole, so there'd be nothing to catch on the rough edges. It will be fine as it is, but you could clean it up if you want.

Rotaris

Reaction score
Thank you jadnashua. Yes I am just a little OCD when it comes to everything. I over think things sometimes....well all of the time actually!
Optum Vormax installed, closet flange "Cleaned up". All good....except for the tank lid.

So first impression is toilet works good, but fit and finish rating is low due to lid/tank fitment. The Tank Lid "teaters" on top of tank??
Im going to look at this morning and see if something can be done to fix. I bought from Big orange store and live two hours away so would like to try and fix somehow? Ideas welcome:)

Reach4

Reaction score
I wonder if you could make a little inverted U shape from a selected diameter of copper or aluminum wire. Put this over the back edge of the tank where it is hidden. That could stop the teetering. An alternative would be to epoxy a little spacer in place.

Rotaris

Reaction score
Great idea Reach! That or I was thinking, Using some "Butl" tape. I have a roll, to take up the 1/8 "Slop" in the corner? The tape is 3/4 inch wide. about 1/8 thick. It wont go anywhere.
Well I have to get Vanity installed today so I will think about it some more. Great tip Reach, love this site, and thank you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks