ABS transition cement?

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeVila

Reaction score
When using the transition cement for use of ABS to PVC just use a cleaner and then the cement on both? Don't use any purple primer correct? I believe ABS you can't use the purple primer? So just clean thoroughly and cement?

MikeVila

Reaction score
TOO many codes lol. It's not being inspected so is there any problem with using it? Not gonna fall apart is it? lol. I never knew plumbing was such a PITA. They make transition cement but it's not allowed by code? They make S traps and there in my lavatory sinks and kitchen sinks but there not allowed.LOL This stuff is driving me nuts!!!:eek:

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
TOO many codes lol. It's not being inspected so is there any problem with using it? Not gonna fall apart is it? lol. I never knew plumbing was such a PITA. They make transition cement but it's not allowed by code? They make S traps and there in my lavatory sinks and kitchen sinks but there not allowed.LOL This stuff is driving me nuts!!!:eek:

The transition is called a fernco. You cannot glue abs to pvc ... not compatible

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The safest connection would be a no-hub connector; Fernco makes them, amoung others. Lets not get into the Kleenex, tissue trademark name issues...plus, depending on where you live, you might not find a specific brand.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Codes are not written just to make it difficult for people, they are written for reasons. Just because it will not be inspected doesn't change the validity of the code. ABS and PVC are glued together regardless of the commonly used term. They are solvent welded, but because they are made for totally different materials, the solvent for one won't react with the other. I have heard there is a product that is supposed to work on both, but I'm not sure of how widely this is used and whether it is code approved or not. This is why they make no hub connectors. Do not use a neoprene sleeve, as these do not prevent pipe movement. You can make the transition, just do it right.

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unless Oatey (a popular brand of transition cement) has changed their position recently, they will tell you that their transition cement is not to be used for joinery within your house. The intended purpose of the cement is for the connection where the city sewer connects to the DWV from your house.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
ABS/PVC transition cement, brown label
green, medium body, fast set, For joining ABS to PVC pipe, and, fittings up to 6" diameter, non pressure only. Schedules 40 and 80.
Meets ASTM D3138
MSDS #65
UPC and NSF approved.

ABS to PVC Transition Green Cement

Medium-bodied green colored cement for use in joining ABS to PVC in non-pressure transition joints.
All schedules up to 6" diameter pipe and fittings.
Recommended application temperature 40°F to 100°F.
Meets ASTM D-3138.
UPC and NSF approved

They do have a disclaimer on the submittal sheet that some codes do not allow its use.
http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/instance_assets/assets/Submittal_Sheet/ABS to PVC Transition Green.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
transition

You cannot glue abs to pvc ... not compatible

That is what I thought, also, until I saw the gas utility gluing their HIGH PRESSURE gas PVC and ABS lines together with it and they said they ALWAYS used it without any failures.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the simplest and safest thing to do is to use the no-hub transition connector. If you are having difficulty finding ABS in your area, then the transition to PVC would be very easy. And, as far as some new product that may or may not be approved, use the the method that is tried and true and is known to be code approved.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com

abs/pvc transition cement
, brown label
green, medium body, fast set, For joining ABS to PVC pipe, and, fittings up to 6" diameter, non pressure only. Schedules 40 and 80.
Meets ASTM D3138
MSDS #65
UPC and NSF approved.

transition_cement.jpg

ABS to PVC Transition Green Cement
Medium-bodied green colored cement for use in joining ABS to PVC in non-pressure transition joints.
All schedules up to 6" diameter pipe and fittings.
Recommended application temperature 40°F to 100°F.
Meets ASTM D-3138.
UPC and NSF approved

They do have a disclaimer on the submittal sheet that some codes do not allow its use.
http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/i...bmittal_Sheet/ABS to PVC Transition Green.pdf

Thanks Redwood ... this is news to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeVila

Reaction score
You use it with no problems? Any tips? I know it says not to get the purple primer on the ABS so I assume just use the cleaner on both (no purple primer on the sch 40) and then the transition cement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks