ABS sewer line crushed by tree roots

Users who are viewing this thread

BruceH

Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice.
Started having trouble in my main sewer line a few weeks ago and while I could get a snake with a small bit through, anything larger wouldn't go. Quickly realized that the landscaper for the builder planted a large tree directly on top of the sewer line. Tree and house are now around 12 years old and the Sissoo tree was already 40' tall and that type is known for invasive root issues. Dug up the line near the tree and found it encased in roots in some areas, so I cut down the tree and cut the roots away from the pipes and found no damage in that immediate area. But the first blockage in the pipe was around 15' toward the house so I started digging back that direction. I expected to find an area where roots were getting into the pipe but instead found that in some areas the ABS pipe was being crushed by the roots. The pipe is flattened in these areas and has some leakage including a fine crack running along the top in one area.
One significant problem I have is that pipe runs along the edge of a sidewalk and under a concrete pad that is around 4'-4.5' across and a some of the damaged areas are under that pad. I've dug a hole under that pad and could pull a new pipe through but there isn't much room for more than that. The root is following the pipe in this area, running directly underneath it. The root has also lifted the pipe in this section resulting in a slight negative slope and the root is up to 5" across.
My dilemma is, does the root need to come out or could I just cut out the old pipe and put the new one back on top of the root. Since the tree is gone, I assume the root wouldn't damage any further. But it also means a slight negative slope in that one area. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the root without tearing out the concrete pad? Another issue is a layer of caliche directly under the root (which is why it probably was able to push the pipe up and crush it. Cutting these roots is difficult and I ruined two chainsaw chains and cutting at them and my sawzall blades keep getting gummed up. I wondered if there was a way to just grind the root down in the high area. Would a plumber normally work by tunneling under the pad or just rip it out completely.
What do you think a plumber would charge to finish the job (in the Phoenix, AZ area)?

Pictures below. Red ovals around areas crushed by the roots.

Thanks,
Bruce
c9bc1218af0b9bfd8227a1f5d9f826c2-full.jpg

ba7e0d09929ae3800d79960d2973fb6a-full.jpg

1082c28eae3058213b0ba2cc4c6118a6-full.jpg

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is there a way you'd be able to dig on the other side of the pad? I wasn't able to view your pictures.
If so, you might be able to do a pipe pull by digging on the other side and near the front wall. That spear head will burst the old pipe apart and the roots should not be an issue.

BruceH

Reaction score
Is there a way you'd be able to dig on the other side of the pad? I wasn't able to view your pictures.
If so, you might be able to do a pipe pull by digging on the other side and near the front wall. That spear head will burst the old pipe apart and the roots should not be an issue.

I could cut out the old pipe and put in a new piece right now without too much difficulty, if I just ignored the root underneath it and the slight negative slope in the one area. But I'm concerned about both of those things.
I'm going to try the images again a different way (I'm new to the forum).

20191201_153328.jpg
20191201_153337.jpg
20191201_153404.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You really don't want a negative slope in the line. You'll forever be having to deal with issues. While maybe a pain, I'd cut out the pipe AND the root, ensure the line is properly graded, and put things back in. The trunk may sprout new growth, and there may be a fair amount of food stored in the roots. Cutting the trunk down doesn't necessarily kill it off right away.

Mliu

Reaction score
Looking at your last photo, I would try to cinch a cable around the root and pull it straight out with a come-along. You may be able to use the tree stump as an anchor.

dispacc

Reaction score
Agree, it is not enough just to cut the tree down. Its roots can live in the soil for a long period of time and I'll not be surprised if with time, you'll see growing a new tree there. Some years ago I helped my granny to update her garden. Actually, I wanted to bring something new and modern. I even bought online Cypress Tree from Italy. I found a site where was written everything about these trees, how to take care of them, the other good thing was that those guys delivered everything to my address very quickly. Great no?! Sadly that I didn't find their site before. Now I would like to order more but first I have to "clean" the garden again 'cause it started to appear baby trees because of the roots.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks