ABS pipe instead of sheet metal downspouts

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by k2014, Feb 15, 2020.

1. k2014

k2014 New Member

Anyone have any thoughts about using ABS DWV pipe for downspouts instead of the crappy, drippy, thin sheet metal stuff?

I've used it before and cut some unions into C-shapes to serve as snap-on fittings to the side of the house, and it worked pretty well, and paints up nice, too. It's a nice smooth interior with no screw to snag on debris. I'm going install a new 6" half-round gutter system in the summer and have been thinking about using 3" ABS for the downspouts.

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    I see ABS and PVC being used on some commercial buildings. Sounds good to me. Don't get glue on the house.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. k2014

k2014 New Member

Roger that. I'll do all my gluing in the yard, then prime and paint (except where the custom snap-in C-fitting engages).

I'm still debating on whether to let the ground pipe support the vertical weight reaction, or if I should let the c-fitting on the house take that load with a strategically-placed union or elbow to transfer the load. I guess if I support the load up higher on the house, I'll get less thermal expansion/contraction near the joint where the gutter outlet dumps into the first ABS 60° downspout elbow. Maybe it doesn't matter much.