ABS pipe instead of sheet metal downspouts

Users who are viewing this thread

k2014

Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts about using ABS DWV pipe for downspouts instead of the crappy, drippy, thin sheet metal stuff?

I've used it before and cut some unions into C-shapes to serve as snap-on fittings to the side of the house, and it worked pretty well, and paints up nice, too. It's a nice smooth interior with no screw to snag on debris. I'm going install a new 6" half-round gutter system in the summer and have been thinking about using 3" ABS for the downspouts.

k2014

Reaction score
I see ABS and PVC being used on some commercial buildings. Sounds good to me. Don't get glue on the house.
Roger that. I'll do all my gluing in the yard, then prime and paint (except where the custom snap-in C-fitting engages).

I'm still debating on whether to let the ground pipe support the vertical weight reaction, or if I should let the c-fitting on the house take that load with a strategically-placed union or elbow to transfer the load. I guess if I support the load up higher on the house, I'll get less thermal expansion/contraction near the joint where the gutter outlet dumps into the first ABS 60° downspout elbow. Maybe it doesn't matter much.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks