ABS Compression P Trap Leaking in 5th Wheel

Users who are viewing this thread

BJT

Reaction score
Edit: Having issues with photos showing. Here is a link to a Google Photos album showing all of them: https://photos.app.goo.gl/hPRB8t5oCoZNcSe38

Hi all,
  • Doing a dishwasher install in 5th wheel. Had to reroute plumbing.

• Used a1.5" ABS P-trap with a compression nut instead of getting the slip end and just gluing it

• Now have leak at compression fitting
Personal observations:

• Read on the forums that people silicone the compression fitting, let cure for 24 hours, and it works. I don't care if it creates a permanent seal, I'm over accessing the P-trap at this point.
    • This would certainly be easiest and preferred, but is it actually a thing? Is it a bad/short-sighted idea? Again, this is a 5th wheel that will be driving down the road. However, the leak is VERY minimal... A few drops over the course of 1-2 hours.
  • Cutting up against the slip end of the P-trap and sanding down all the excess glue from both sides before regluing a slip joint ABS P-trap.
    • About 3/4" of pipe left to glue once it's cut, but a good amount of dried glue.
      • Am I subjecting myself to a lot of risk by sanding down the glue?

• I'm very nervous about doing this because it is a "do or die" type of thing. If it doesn't work, I will be tearing open the underbelly of my brand new 5th wheel. Inclined to start with silicone if you guys think it will hold
  • Can't ream the Tee out because it is angled to the left, preventing a drill from coming in straight.
Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Any comments on my observations on how to fix it? Silicone seems easiest/safest as long as it will hold. What do you think?

Also, any thoughts on the overall plumbing would be appreciated, particularly if you think I did something I shouldn't have and have a ticking time bomb.

For what it's worth, I drained about 40 gallons through it last night with no problems other than that small leak.

Thank you in advance!
Qe3e6LtrP3WWEAjPA

Qe3e6LtrP3WWEAjPA

Qe3e6LtrP3WWEAjPA

SAY1qFsCyYoAYW2p7

bpr4mz9hgVAWkMhn9

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
That is a Ground Joint Union trap. It really shouldn't leak when its tightened unless there is an imperfection or debris in one of the surfaces. Sometimes the nut can crack from being over tightened. I would check both sides of that trap connection for imperfections.

If its clean and free of imperfections and the leak persists.. I would try something a little Less drastic than silicone. I would place a single wrap of the thick Teflon tape on the beveled face of the non threaded side of the union.. that would be the removable part. The tape will create a softer surface for to make up for some imperfection. Wrap the tape in the same direction as the nut will tighten so it doesn't unravel itself as the nut turns.

having gutted and redone several campers in my time, the plumbing looks fine for an RV. It even has AAV's which is a bonus.

PS.. I tried to copy one of your photos to add too and even by reducing the size, I couldn't get it to load.

BJT

Reaction score
I appreciate the great feedback @Tuttles Revenge . When you say the "thick teflon tape" are you referring to the yellow tape?

Glad you noticed the AAV. In watching some videos and talking with people, a big concern I had was siphoning the trap, but I think that AAV solves that.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The yellow tape made for gas would work just fine. You're just making a thick malleable gasket between the two mating surfaces.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks