About to do a repipe - best method for fittings?

Users who are viewing this thread

YelLabRet

Reaction score
i am planning to repipe the whole house going with a trunk and branch pex system. should i go with uponor expanding system, sharkbite, or crimps/clamps? sharkbite looks really cool, but it just seems scary since it can rotate after fitting. using the expander is enticing, i "hear" most pros use it but more plumbers i meet face to face seem to prefer crimps/clamps. tool purchase is not a deterrent to mewhen it comes to something that must NOT fail. is there any consensus as to which one will perform better after 10, 20, or 30 years?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
At best, a sharkbite should only be used in a rare occasion.

Locate your local supplier and find out what most of the plumbers are using. Choose between those, and buy the tools and stay with the program. You don't want to be mixing and matching on something that carries a warranty.

The best PEX programs are very similar in results.

This is a hand held expander with a LED light so you can see what you are working with.

propex_expansion.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm with Jimbo. If you want a products that has stood the test of time, is impervious to rodents and has the best flow characteristics, copper is the only choice. If you want to hack something in cheap, fast and easy go ahead and use ANY pex you can get your hands on and any fitting method because they are all pretty much crap.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Sharkbites CAN rotate, but how would that happen once it is in place, unless it is a straight through coupling? But then, so can some PEX systems and they do not leak either.

Chefwong

Reaction score
so fellow tradesman.....are ya'll running Pex or Copper if both are code in your area ?

Back when I lived in MA, I had a great plumber and he swore anyday, everyday on Pex....

The current house has got all threaded brass, I've replaced most with copper as the walls open up, and used a short run of Pex for it's unique properties of having some ~give~

Cookie

Reaction score
For what it is worth to ya, I see a whole lot of houses and they are pex.

DaveHo

Reaction score
I'm in the process of re-piping my house now. The Uponor expansion system is what I'm going with. It's a proven system that has stood the test of time IMHO. Would I like to have copper, sure but it would cost 4x as much & take me significantly longer to install.

propex_expansion.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, pex has been around since the mid-50's, more in Europe than in the USA, but there are billions of feet of the stuff installed. Copper is a quality product but depending on your water conditions, may not last. There are benefits for both systems. Fewer joints and freeze resistance has its advantages as does the flexibility of pex.

Cookie

Reaction score
Recently saw another house and before the owners could move in, the house was stripped of its copper. New construction, 365,000 bucks. Nice house, and nice area, low crime rate area. This is the second one I saw in a month.

Last edited:

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have replumbed several houses that have had the copper stolen. I NEVER recommend putting copper back in. Why help the crackheads twice? I use Viega Pureflow fittings with their built in crimp rings-no separate ring to hold in place, or have slip into the basement. And PEX has been around in Europe longer than CPVC has in America.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks