? about shower base

Users who are viewing this thread

natrldsastr

Reaction score
OK I'm just a homeowner renovating an older bath. I'm having a new shower tiled in, but in the name of budget am exploring my options. I didn't see any guidelines about links, so please correct me if I screw up. Instead of tiling entire floor, curb, seat etc, is it possible to install something like this - http://tinyurl.com/kyyyozr - and then proceed to tile up walls etc? I'm a little concerned about cleaning the smaller pebble tiles in our excessive hard water situation here. Thanks for any guidance you can give me.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What you describe is done all of the time. Now, whether you'll like it is a personal thing. It would be nice if you could touch and feel one - I see it is not stocked in the stores. The key to any of these is to ensure the floor is flat OR you bed it in some mortar. If you do that, it provides a solid base...flex is annoying and can lead to premature stress cracks and failure. Check out www.johnbridge.com for help on tiling things.

natrldsastr

Reaction score
Thank you for your time Jad - I have seen some pix of showers tiled with flat bases, just wasn't sure about the seating/sides situation. We'll have to bed the floor anyway, verrry old home with unlevel floor. I'm hiring the tile done, I'm a pretty handy gal but have never attempted tile. Especially in the cock-eyed circumstances this shower is going. Thanks again for your time.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The Kohler instructions are in my experience very good. This receptor is very similar to the Accord unit that Terry recently posted pictures of. I shim the base to level and adhere the shims in place on the floor, and then place piles of mortar to squish the unit down into. This results in a rock-solid installation once the mortar cures.

natrldsastr

Reaction score
The Kohler instructions are in my experience very good. This receptor is very similar to the Accord unit that Terry recently posted pictures of. I shim the base to level and adhere the shims in place on the floor, and then place piles of mortar to squish the unit down into. This results in a rock-solid installation once the mortar cures.

Do you have a link or can you point me in the direction of the thread where Terry posted pix, cacher?

never mind, I think I found it. :)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks