Abandoned drain/vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Owar7x

Reaction score
Hello fellas.
I found an abandoned drain line with it's vent as I took a wall down. It has a santee, I think they used it as a sink line a long time ago.
I'm planning to install a window in that wall, so my question is, should I reroute the line around the window or just cap the drain at the very bottom and forget about vent and all together?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you don't need the drain, you can just cap it, but the vent is a little trickier. You don't want to create a place that water could be held if somehow the whole system filled up to the roof. So I would think you'd want to follow the vent back to where it connects to another vent and cap it there. Or if it goes directly through the roof, remove it all the way to the roof, which has its own complications.

Or you can just reroute it, removing the san-tee (which should already be capped), if convenient.

Cheers, Wayne

Owar7x

Reaction score
If you don't need the drain, you can just cap it, but the vent is a little trickier. You don't want to create a place that water could be held if somehow the whole system filled up to the roof. So I would think you'd want to follow the vent back to where it connects to another vent and cap it there. Or if it goes directly through the roof, remove it all the way to the roof, which has its own complications.

Or you can just reroute it, removing the san-tee (which should already be capped), if convenient.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks again for your help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks