AAV Venting Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Paul Shabou

Reaction score
Greeting from Wixom, Michigan.

Recently I decided to finish my basement, which led to numerous plumbing questions that I have had a hard time finding answers to online. I am the only owner of the house and had it built, assuming it passed all inspections in 2006.

In my house on the 3rd floor I have a full bath with 1 sink and an AAV, another bathroom with 2 sinks and no AAV.

On the main floor, we have 1 bathroom with 2 sinks and no AAV, another bathroom with a sink and no AAV, a laundry room sink with no AAV and an AAV under the kitchen sink.

Why do some sinks have an AAV and some do not? I see a vent pipe on my roof, but I was told years ago by someone doing roof repair that it was capped and may not be in use. Should all the sinks have an AAV?

Lastly, in my finished basement, we put in a bathroom where the contractor who built the house pre-plumbed for it. I installed no AAV in that bathroom, and now am putting in a bar sink, should that have an AAV? I am super confused. I thought my house had a main vent stack, but if that was true would I still have had AAV installed?

One additional piece of information, in my basement prior to finishing, I had 2 large soil pipes going into the concrete floor, does this mean I have 2 separate main drain line?

Thanks for all the help!!

Paul S

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes an AAV will be used on a kitchen sink if it's on an Island or in front of a large exterior window and they don't want to drill the studs supporting the header.
Most of the time the fixtures will be plumbed through the roof. Having multiple soil stacks doesn't automatically mean you have two lines to the sewer. Most of the time it's just one line. Depending on where the plumbing is coming from, you may have many waste stacks, and some vents will be there for the basement plumbing too.

dwv_b2.jpg

Paul Shabou

Reaction score
Sometimes an AAV will be used on a kitchen sink if it's on an Island or in front of a large exterior window and they don't want to drill the studs supporting the header.
Most of the time the fixtures will be plumbed through the roof. Having multiple soil stacks doesn't automatically mean you have two lines to the sewer. Most of the time it's just one line. Depending on where the plumbing is coming from, you may have many waste stacks, and some vents will be there for the basement plumbing too.

dwv_b2.jpg

Terry,

Thank you for the quick reply, I really appreciate it. Will it hurt anything if I added an AAV to the bar sink, even if it may not need one?

Paul Shabou

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Terry the drawing is the only way I install waste and vent

No wet vent , no circuit venting ,no loop venting and certainly no AAV 's

Shame NY decided to cut costs using the IPC code

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks