AAV vent & trap in wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Alpac

Reaction score
My 30-year-old Laundry room (LR) has a WM drain with no trap or vent. So, I am remodeling trying to place a new drain, trap and vent.

I just started and found the wall cavity is on 12 inch centers. Hardly room to place a 2 inch trap. Its an external wall so I am not inclined to file permit to modify studs. Or is this my only option?

I am permitted in Redmond, WA to add a AAV and new drain. How? IF I am able to get a line in, no trap will fit.

Am I forced to put a trap outside the wall?

Is putting a trap on a horz section below the floor in the crawl space with AAV vent a bad idea?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The trap needs to be above the floor.
The AAV can be in the open. It can't be in a closed off wall.
How did a p-trap not be included in Redmond?

Since you have some room behind the washer, I don't think it would be a problem if its not in the wall.

You do want the trap and the vent (AAV)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

This is something we do daily, and do not consider it an insurmountable problem. Put the tee in one cavity and the trap in the next one with a hole in the intervening stud for the pipe to go through.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Depending on the climate you may not want a trap in an exterior wall. You may find the line clogged by a frozen trap.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In Redmond Washington, it doesn't get that cold.
It's too close to Puget Sound, Lake Washington and Lake Sammamish.

hj is right, we can just drill into the next stud bay.

It snowed here last night, but it takes several days of below freezing here to do much.
We do have to have frost free hose faucets, and the water services need to have 24" of cover.
Local code calls for insulating pipes in the crawlspace, even though they don't freeze there. (Not unless they are right in front of a foundation vent)
Any water lines in the attic will freeze, insulated or not, unless they are near the warm ceiling and batts of insulation are over them.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks