AAV - Studor Valve Vent Basement Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Finn03

Reaction score
New member to the forum, but I've read a multitude of good advice here over the years.
Apologies if this is a repeated question - seems I've found similar questions, with many mixed responses across the internet, so wanted to clarify and seek advice.

I'm looking to put a utility sink in my basement, and have easy access to water lines. I have a 1-1/2-inch drain line feeding to a 2-inch wye and cleanout as in the photo below. I was planning to tie into the cleanout, add another cleanout above and a sanitary tee to a 1-1/2-inch draing for the sink.

Rough sketch of the proposed drain/vent is as below. The only other fixture on this line is our kitchen sink as it's on an interior wall away from the main drain stack, and has an atmospheric vent.

Few items to mention:
1. AAVs are legal in my location
2. I am using a Studor valve, and plan to put it as high up this chain as feasible, but it will obviously be below the 2nd floor sink - which is the highest fixture on this line.
3. For reference, this is an occasional use utility sink for cleaning brushes, etc. in my basement.
4. I will have open access to the studor valve - it will be in the unfinished utility space.

Is this acceptable? Are there any additional concerns (other than eventual studor valve failure/replacement) to be concerned with? I've seen others claim it will be a flood risk, with the upstairs sink being above the AAV. I may be missing something (quite possible) but the only added flood risk I see is with a clogged main drain backing up, and that would be the case with an AAV or atmospheric vent correct?

Attachments

• 20151101_144315 (Large).jpg
    20151101_144315 (Large).jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 823
  • home-design.jpg
    home-design.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 18,652
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks