AAV question for basement apartment sink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Thekid1

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a basement apartment. I believe I had some help on this forum in the past on venting. What I have is a 1 bed apartment on one side of the basement and a 2nd bath on the otherside of basement(my side).

Total:
2 bath sinks
2 toilets
2 showers
1 laundry
1 kitchen sink

All these are underground except for the kitchen sink, but the kitchen sink drsin ends up in the submersible pump area with the others, the drain runs behind the wall and eventually there. All these fixtures are all connected to the same 2" vent that runs to my attic and connects into my main 3" vent. All of these fixtures are right within the vicinity of eachother except the kitchen.

So the 2" kitchen vent I have coming up the wall and across the bottom of the ceiling joists and eventually meets where the 2" riser goes up to the attic. I want to remove this now and am thinking of installing an AAV so I can gain a little more ceiling height. Or I can extend the vent while in the wall about 10ft and run it behind the adjoining wall instead.(a lot more work).

I was following a thread on this forum about someone having an AAV on their kitchen sink and having issues and I'm worried about it. Someone was saying to the person that it's probably a clog most likely, but the thread ended and the person never came back to respond.

So I want to know if it's worth the hassle of me rerouting this vent behind this other wall to avoid taking up ceiling height, or just get the AAV and be done with it? It's all open walls currently. I'll post a photo of plans. All in all I'm asking if the AAVs are reliable enough do depend on it if I were to eliminate the kitchen sink venting.

Just to be clear, the dotted line from kitchen sink to the first red dot is the one in question. The rest of the dotted lines are staying.
Screenshot_20220922-105744_Floor Plan Creator.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm no fan of AAV because I've never used one and the theory of it I'm just not crazy about.
I think its legal for you and I doubt you'll have noticeable problem , It might be good for 20 plus years but I cant imagine an AAV to ever be as good as a vent , outside of convenience , labor , or material.
It could very well be worth it to you to use I don't think its that big a deal should you decide to use it , can't really lose if it acts up some day change it out

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
A venting problem, by itself, never causes slow draining. I am only mentioning that because you said "I was following a thread on this forum about someone having an AAV on their kitchen sink and having issues and I'm worried about it. Someone was saying to the person that it's probably a clog most likely, but the thread ended and the person never came back to respond."

Jeff's covered your actual question.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks