AAV or air gap

Users who are viewing this thread

adiner

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently resolved water backing up into the dishwasher by forming a high loop with the drainage tube. Now that that's solved, I am still having a problem with drainage from the kitchen sink. I have disassembled the trap (it's a grandfathered s trap since house is a ranch built in 1953) and there aren't any clogs nor coming from the garbage disposal. When I turn on the garbage disposal, it seems to improve the drainage somewhat, though not all the time. So, my question is, should I install an air gap or just install an AAV? I don't think the main stack has any problems, though another bathroom sink (also an s trap) is slow draining. Research suggests that the air gap is strictly to improve dishwasher drainage, so I don't know whether to go with the AAV or whether there is some other issue I should consider.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
And S-Trap is supposed to be vented below the floor, sort of like a shower drain.
And Air-Gap is to prevent the water from the kitchen sink from winding up in the dishwasher.
A vent or AAV (Auto Air Vent) is to prevent the p-trap from siphoning dry. The trap is there to provide a water seal to prevent sewer gas from entering the home. If the drain is slow, then it may need to be snaked.

sink_dw.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Neither an air gap nor an AAV will make a dishwasher drain better. The air gap is there to let water out from the piping under failure conditions, and the AAV is to prevent smells from a trap siphoning dry.

Do you have a basement? Can you see the drain pipe under the kitchen sink? If so, there may be a fairly simple solution. A common place for your drain under the kitchen sink to clog is where the flow switches from vertical to horizontal, and that may be under the basement floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks