AAV on kitchen sink drain

Users who are viewing this thread

CDF1000

Reaction score
Hi all, thanks for all excellent information I've gleaned from this site over the years. I finally have a question that I have not seen asked or answered (or I missed it). Attached is a sketch of a proposed AAV installation in the kitchen sink cabinet. (Yes I've determined, for a number of reasons, that I need to use an AAV vs a traditional vent), I am trying to optimize space and retain flexibility of positioning the AAV so I'd like to use two 90's to bring the AAV out of the wall behind the cabinet rather than place it directly on the trap arm for the sink. Any issues with that change in direction on the AAV "vent" pipe? (referring to the two 90's bringing the pipe from inside the wall to inside the cabinet).

I am in Florida, IPC is our code.

Dave

AAV on kitchen sink.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Piping up to AAV needs to stay with 45 degrees of plumb, which called "vertical" in plumbing. If you replaced the two 90s on the AAV path with two 45s, you are there.

There are also AAV boxes. They have removable louver panels that can be removed to change out the AAV. With that, the AAV stays inside the wall.

Last edited:

CDF1000

Reaction score
Piping up to AAV needs to stay with 45 degrees of plumb, which called "vertical" in plumbing. If you replaced the two 90s on the AAV path with two 45s, you are there.

There are also AAV boxes. They have removable louver panels that can be removed to change out the AAV. With that, the AAV stays inside the wall.
Thanks.

The AAV box is an option but really locks me in to a location before I've selected a sink. I knew the 45's were the most correct solution, they just make it harder to cover the elongated hole coming into the cabinet back. I had also seen a couple photos online showing the 90's (one at some inspector's blog even) but not enough evidence for me to think it ok. Hence my question.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
This is my island sink. I remodeled the entire room and went from a double bowl to the a 30" wide single bowl. The AAV is in the same position, what is usually a clean out position, as the original setup installed by the builder. This is Avalon Park in Orange County. You be surprise how much you can get under the sink. I used this picture once before to show if you place the drain dead center to the sink drain, usually at the center, and the the kitchen faucet is also at dead center, the drain usually will get in the way of the weight if you have a pull out spray faucet. The weight for this faucet is just behind the dishwasher drain hose. It should be lower but it hits the drain pipe and then the hose/head doesn't fully retract. If your re-plumbing you might want to consider this.

1646948209118.png

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nice drawing. If you move the 90's up you'd be in better shape. You could also turn the santee on a 45 and just use 45 degree fitting.

Are you planning on using the AAV under the sink?

CDF1000

Reaction score
This is my island sink. I remodeled the entire room and went from a double bowl to the a 30" wide single bowl. The AAV is in the same position, what is usually a clean out position, as the original setup installed by the builder. This is Avalon Park in Orange County. You be surprise how much you can get under the sink. I used this picture once before to show if you place the drain dead center to the sink drain, usually at the center, and the the kitchen faucet is also at dead center, the drain usually will get in the way of the weight if you have a pull out spray faucet. The weight for this faucet is just behind the dishwasher drain hose. It should be lower but it hits the drain pipe and then the hose/head doesn't fully retract. If your re-plumbing you might want to consider this.

View attachment 81850

Nice drawing. If you move the 90's up you'd be in better shape. You could also turn the santee on a 45 and just use 45 degree fitting.

Are you planning on using the AAV under the sink?
Yes, using the AAV. I ended up finding the sink I wanted which allowed me to more accurately locate an AAV box in the wall. It ended up higher than the sink drain but out of the way, with access. Thanks all for the advice.

And I still haven't forgotten my engineering drafting classes (pencil not CAD) from 35 years ago :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks