A way to avoid accordion drain piece in this situation?

Users who are viewing this thread

saabturbodrivr

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm having some bathrooms in my home renovated. Apparently my sinks have their drains set back pretty far to the rear...and the sinks themselves were set back rather far in the vanity top. So, my contractor said it made the drain assembly difficult...and he had to use an accordion type piece in order to have room for the P-trap. He admitted it was "home-ownerish".

I am concerned because a)our sinks would clog very often in the past with my wife's hair...naturally, that would be even worse with the accordion piece in there...and b)it seems this may not even be up to code?

Please see the attached photos. I'm sure there is a professional solution here, right? If so, please let me know, and I can show my contractor or even do it myself. There is a 2nd vanity yet to be plumbed too...and it will have the same issue.

Thanks!

34504628943_a66bfe5bfe_k.jpg

34504629093_a54bbb4a48_k.jpg

35274706376_6cb984314f_k.jpg

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's as ugly as crap on a dirt road. Use two slip joint 45s and a short piece or two of tubular 1.5 ".

saabturbodrivr

Reaction score
Do you mean use 2 45's to approximate the 2 curves of the accordion piece and then a straight 1.5" tube down into the P-trap?

saabturbodrivr

Reaction score
Cool...not bad. Curious, why would you say a "piece or two" of tubular 1.5"? Wouldn't it just be 1 piece cut to length? (I'm a novice here to humor me...I've installed a faucet and drain or two, but those were straight forward). And that 1.5" would just be plain piping, and I'd cut to to size and the 45 peices would come with the necessary connectors?

And rotating the trap left/right would be adjusting the "depth" of the position of the connection to it...and I can also rotate the 45s as needed?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
One piece to join the 45s together, another to connect the assembly to the trap. Yes to rotating the 45 assembly.

saabturbodrivr

Reaction score
Pretty sure I can visualize that now. Seems pretty simple and straightforward. I wonder what the reason was for the insistence that the flexible accordion thing was the only viable option.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks