A tiny bit of water on the back of shut off valve after replacing

Users who are viewing this thread

Sandy T

Reaction score
Hi,

I just replaced a shut off valve under a bath vanity sink. The compressor ring was rusted and corroded, and it was hard to remove (wiggled, shook, etc. and then sanded a bit and washed it with vinegar the copper pipe after removal.

After putting a new shut off valve, I touched with a finger the back of the nut, but a tiny bit of water got on my finger. I think I tightened hard enough,,, There was no drip for an hour, but I am concerned it could lead to a leak after a while. In another bathroom, I touched the back of the nut of the shut off valve, and there was no water. It's dry. Would you please give me some advice how to fix it? Just a bead of silicone? Or, is this just no problem?

Thank you!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
maybe it stopped but keep an eye on it. Ive had some that I had to replace the ferule when re using them

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The first drop of water could have come during the install. Just check it regularly. If there's no water there's no leak.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
It's exposed so I wouldn't worry about it (as opposed to any type of connection made behind a wall for instance), just check it every couple of days. If it drips, you might have to replace the ferule. You could also try giving it another 1/8 turn. Sometimes the original compression was overtightened leaving the pipe a bit knackered up.

John

EDIT: no silicone...

Sandy T

Reaction score
Thank you all for the valuable information and advice. It dripped over night. Just one drop, but irritating. I think it was because of the copper pipe itself. The ferule was a new one that came with the valve. But when I took the old one off, because it was stuck, I turned it left and right many times around the pipe to loosen it. Consider a wedding ring. If you wear it long time, the spot the ring sat on your finger is thinner than right next to that ring. I see the copper pipe has that. So, the water goes into the inner circle of the ring, not the outer one. Cut and extend the pipe?

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Thank you all for the valuable information and advice. It dripped over night. Just one drop, but irritating. I think it was because of the copper pipe itself. The ferule was a new one that came with the valve. But when I took the old one off, because it was stuck, I turned it left and right many times around the pipe to loosen it. Consider a wedding ring. If you wear it long time, the spot the ring sat on your finger is thinner than right next to that ring. I see the copper pipe has that. So, the water goes into the inner circle of the ring, not the outer one. Cut and extend the pipe?

Pics?

If you have the room, you can sweat in a new coupling and extend the pipe.

Also, a lot of guys use push on angle stops and like them although I haven't used one yet. If the O-ring won't fall on the knackered part of the pipe, a push on will fix this without any effort. I would never use an Accor (I heard they're garbage) but this Brasscraft might work:

And even if it does still drip, you can still use the valve on a new section of pipe.

John

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have the extra length to cut and move the ferule location to fresh pipe, then that would be the best. They don't need to be so tightened that it dimples the copper tube.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sandy, If you want to sure cut off and extend . it might be harder to get an escutcheon to fit . when I gut a bathroom often I put new stub outs since drywall work is done and cabinet is removed , or maybe who cares what it looks like under your Lav? your choice. or try to stop leak

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
A sharkbite will leak a lot of times if you pull a compression ring off and try to put the sharkbite in it's place.

Are you sure you can't tighten it? If not then yes it needs extended.

Sandy T

Reaction score
Thank you all again for such great advice !!
I am not a skilled DIYer, I just do as whatever online info says to save bucks. Having said that, I am not certain which point is too much tightening to make dimples and which point I still can force more to tighten....

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Thank you all again for such great advice !!
I am not a skilled DIYer, I just do as whatever online info says to save bucks. Having said that, I am not certain which point is too much tightening to make dimples and which point I still can force more to tighten....

Definitely a feel thing - something that really can't be described.

The way I see it, you're either not tight enough or your copped is knackered up a bit. If you're too loose, another 1/8 -1/4 turn might fix it. If your copper is knackered up and won't seal on the ferrule, then tightening up more won't make it any worse.

If tightening doesn't help, then you still have to address the copper either way.

John

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Terry used to talk about putting a drop of oil on threads of copper compression fittings to help get it tightened adequately. I've tried this and it can help.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yes to lube especialy if the stops are plated with chrome (like almost all are) I put small amount of dope ( only on the threads ) and was taught that and told ignore those that question, but only a little and only on threads. right or wrong the ones I seen leak on new construction were installed dry. So Id probebly remove put some dope reinstall . befor cutting off and redoing the stubouts

royalflush001

Reaction score
Definitely a feel thing - something that really can't be described.

The way I see it, you're either not tight enough or your copped is knackered up a bit. If you're too loose, another 1/8 -1/4 turn might fix it. If your copper is knackered up and won't seal on the ferrule, then tightening up more won't make it any worse.

If tightening doesn't help, then you still have to address the copper either way.

John
Correctly said. I was also thinking maybe it's not tight enough!

Reach4

Reaction score
Tightening needs two wrenches. The big one can be various things. For the nut, if worried about buggering up the nut, consider a flair nut wrench.
crescent-flare-nut-wrenches-cfnws0-05-c3_100.jpg

It is like a cross between an open end wrench and a box wrench.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks