A strange problem with Rainbird system

Users who are viewing this thread

Frankish Knight

Reaction score
When I turn on the water to fill my sprinkler system this spring I have three heads in one particular zone that start going off. This happens without the controller and electrical stuff plugged in(just the water is on). Anyone know the problem?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Open Zone Valve

It just means that particular zone valve had been left (at least partially) open during the winter. You can manually close it if you want. Plug in your control box and see if you can open and close all the zone valves.

Frankish Knight

Reaction score
Verdeboy said:
It just means that particular zone valve had been left (at least partially) open during the winter. You can manually close it if you want. Plug in your control box and see if you can open and close all the zone valves.

I'm new to this. Where would this "zone valve" be located? Is it out in my yard? or where the control box is?

What do you mean by "left open during the winter?"

Also how would I "manually close it?"

Frankish Knight

Reaction score
Hmmm think I know where the valves are now. They are out in my yard in a box in the ground. I'm gonna check it tomorrow as its 1:00am right now. Ill report back tomorrow with results. Thanks for the help so far!:)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have Rainbird valves, they can be opened manually by turning the small knurled knob on top of the valves. There will be a stream of water from both sides of the knob. These are left closed for normal automatic operation.

Frankish Knight

Reaction score
Ok inside the box I found three valves with little knobs on top. I cant tell if they are open or closed, but all three appear to be in the same position. I turned one of them and a small stream of water came out.

So I need them closed right? for normal automatic operation. If so, I believe they are all closed already.:confused:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
They are obviously closed when no water is come out of them. They open counterclockwise. Do I gather that this did not solve your problem? I don't have any more words of wisdom.

Frankish Knight

Reaction score
Gary Swart said:
They are obviously closed when no water is come out of them. They open counterclockwise. Do I gather that this did not solve your problem? I don't have any more words of wisdom.

Yea they are all closed and the problem remains. I tried to use the control box to manually advance to another station but the same three just will not shut off.:(

Could someone tell me the purpose of these valves? Why open them? I'm thinking maybe if I know the purpose of the valves it may help me figure out whats wrong.

Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Zone Valves

A zone valve allows water to flow to all the sprinkler heads on a particular zone (station). Those 3 valves should be for three separate zones. If those 3 valves are definitely off, then you just haven't found the right zone valve. How many zones do you have in your system? You should have 1 valve for each zone. Look around for other boxes in the ground and manually shut them off 'til you have found the right valve.

Sometimes a valve will "stick" and will require taking it apart to fix the problem. But you have to find the right valve first.

Frankish Knight

Reaction score
Verdeboy said:
A zone valve allows water to flow to all the sprinkler heads on a particular zone (station). Those 3 valves should be for three separate zones. If those 3 valves are definitely off, then you just haven't found the right zone valve. How many zones do you have in your system? You should have 1 valve for each zone. Look around for other boxes in the ground and manually shut them off 'til you have found the right valve.

Sometimes a valve will "stick" and will require taking it apart to fix the problem. But you have to find the right valve first.

Hmmm. Ok. I have seven zones. Im not aware of any more boxes in the ground but, I'll take a look around. Incidently, the box in the ground that I do know of is right next to the zone in question.

Frankish Knight

Reaction score
Well you guys were right! (but I'm sure you already knew that). I fixed it!:D
I found another box in the ground and sure enough there was an open valve. I want to thank Verdeboy and Gary Swart for their advise and follow ups. I really appreciate it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks