a simple question

Users who are viewing this thread

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
No dice. He's somehow removed his entire PROFILE from JLC, along with every/any post he ever made... weird.

I found links to it at Mike Holt's but it looks like Joe took the video down from all the places he'd had it up.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Don't know if this helps Thatguy, but I found a reference to it.
http://www.nachi.org/forum/f19/should-happen-hair-dryer-falls-into-sink-4903/
Yeah, I have to sleep on this one, with the shower and a path to ground. It still doesn't quite sit right with me, even if the worklamp had no insulation.

Not to beat a dead, or semi-comatose horse, but I have some problems with this link
http://www.emedicine.com/med/TOPIC2810.HTM

Their classification as to high voltage may be generally accepted but there is a breakpoint at 600v above which the skin is punctured so you lose the benefit of skin resistance.
The power transformers of vacuum tube TV sets could easily put out more than 600v, believe me.

They also imply that people would have 15A flowing through their bodies from household voltages.
Electric chairs only pass 4A to 8A, and this is at 2400v. The body temp. is raised by 20°F or so, and this temp. rise by itself doesn't do anyone any good.

I don't know where they get this 240A max current value.

As to cataracts, I thought cancer was the only disease that can wait years to show up. I guess the current causes cell damage on a molecular level.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
In order for a GFCI to trip there has to be a difference in the current between the ungrounded (hot) and the grounded (neutral) conductors.

Take a GFCI receptacle out and reach across the device with your finger and thumb touching the black and white wire and the device will not trip. It is not the job of the device to stop current flow if the load is between the hot and neutral but to open if the current between the two is not exactly the same.

Anyone who thinks that a GFCI will keep someone from being electrocuted just don’t understand how one works and helps substantiate the reason for someone to call a professional instead of trying to do something electrical their self no matter how simple that job might seem.

Cookie

Reaction score
Years ago I was working with my dad on the old Tube tv's and they have very high voltage. They have capacitors that discharge, I got shocked a few times, I was about 9 then. Electrical current can change the cell on the molecular level because it is a known fact that people working with high voltage/lines, have a greater rate of cancer. Mostly, the blood cancers. Where it can cause cancer I believe as well as a scientist in Erie, Pa, it can cure cancer. Here is a small something about him. It is very exciting.

John Kanzius Machine / Cancer Cure / Radio Waves

Last edited by a moderator:

JWelectric

Reaction score
Electric chairs only pass 4A to 8A, and this is at 2400v. The body temp. is raised by 20°F or so, and this temp. rise by itself doesn't do anyone any good.

This is what I found about the heat in the body from the chair,

Electrocution
Seeking a more humane method of execution than hanging, New York built the first electric chair in 1888 and executed William Kemmler in 1890. Soon, other states adopted this execution method. Today, electrocution is not used as the sole method of execution in any state. Electrocution was the sole method in Nebraska until the State Supreme Court ruled the method unconstitutional in February 2008. For execution by the electric chair, the person is usually shaved and strapped to a chair with belts that cross his chest, groin, legs, and arms. A metal skullcap-shaped electrode is attached to the scalp and forehead over a sponge moistened with saline. The sponge must not be too wet or the saline short-circuits the electric current, and not too dry, as it would then have a very high resistance. An additional electrode is moistened with conductive jelly (Electro-Creme) and attached to a portion of the prisoner's leg that has been shaved to reduce resistance to electricity. The prisoner is then blindfolded. (Hillman, 1992 and Weisberg, 1991) After the execution team has withdrawn to the observation room, the warden signals the executioner, who pulls a handle to connect the power supply. A jolt of between 500 and 2000 volts, which lasts for about 30 seconds, is given. The current surges and is then turned off, at which time the body is seen to relax. The doctors wait a few seconds for the body to cool down and then check to see if the inmate's heart is still beating. If it is, another jolt is applied. This process continues until the prisoner is dead. The prisoner's hands often grip the chair and there may be violent movement of the limbs which can result in dislocation or fractures. The tissues swell. Defecation occurs. Steam or smoke rises and there is a smell of burning. (Hillman, 1992 and Weisberg, 1991) U.S. Supreme Court Justice William Brennan once offered the following description of an execution by electric chair:
...the prisoner's eyeballs sometimes pop out and rest on [his] cheeks. The prisoner often defecates, urinates, and vomits blood and drool. The body turns bright red as its temperature rises, and the prisoner's flesh swells and his skin stretches to the point of breaking. Sometimes the prisoner catches fire....Witnesses hear a loud and sustained sound like bacon frying, and the sickly sweet smell of burning flesh permeates the chamber. (Ecenbarger, 1994)

At postmortem, the body is hot enough to blister if touched, and the autopsy is delayed while the internal organs cool. There are third degree burns with blackening where the electrodes met the skin of the scalp and legs. According to Robert H. Kirschner, the deputy chief medical examiner of Cook County, "The brain appears cooked in most cases." (Weisberg, 1991)
see here

Cookie

Reaction score
This is very promising and very exciting and he is a man without even a college degree or a background in it. He is a DIY'er in every sense of the word. He has cancer, and may just had found a cure and will save many people's lives, including mine because I live with cancer, and he did it with electrical/radio/energy waves! How remarkable.

TVL

Reaction score
You stated:

I quote code a lot simply due to the fact that the NEC is a minimum safety code. To do anything less than what the code call for is to do something unsafe. The code itself makes this statement in the Introduction.

Referring to another thread I started, this is why I am sooooooo confused. I was thinking of making some additions to an outside sub-panel until I was told I was approaching the matter incorrectly AND the panel and breaker needed updating. I have since taken the advice of those here and decided not to make my original additions, but I have decided to correct the discrepancies that were called to my attention .............. this weekend as a matter of fact!

Now for my confusion: Since I decided NOT to make any additions and I now have no need of going inside the panel, I was informed I could leave the panel as is and not be concerned about the main breaker and missing bushing as this was installed at a time when the code was not as strict.

In your statement, you say "To do anything less than what the code call for is to do something unsafe". Can't you see my dilemma. Obviously, the code has changed since our home was built in 1977 AND if one looked closely, I and many others will most certainly have what is now considered a code violation. How can the NEC grandfather electrical wiring in an older home when it is considered "unsafe" ............. and according to you "the code itself makes this statement in the Introduction".

Are there other circuits in our home which are unsafe? Why aren't homeowners contacted with new code updates, such as an automotive recall? As I stated earlier, I am very confused ............... I need to make a change, I don't need to make a change, anything less than code is unsafe. How in the world does one make a proper and/or wise decision with this kind of obscurity.

Confused in SC!

Cookie

Reaction score
Tvl,

I am not an electrician, but if I were you, since it is grandfathered in as long as it has met all the standards of that day, it is safe; but if you wanted to feel more comfortable, you could update it. I would probably update if you got the time and the money. Updating it to today's NEC's standards would make it safer.

A car has a VIN number and can send the owner information about a recall, it would be impossible to send a homeowner information because they would not know where the units/parts are at. You could probably find information about electrical item recalls on the net.

Good luck.

JWelectric

Reaction score
You stated: Confused in SC!

The NEC is updated every three years and this process is done through a process that anyone can be involved with.

The cut off date was the first of last month for proposals for the 2011 code cycle. Sometime toward the end of next year these proposals will be sent to those that made one or anyone can see them by going to www.nfpa.org

From there the proposals will go through a comment stage where the proposal will be picked and probed until its final adoption into the code.

When a proposal is made there has to be something to substantiate the proposal, a reason for the change. The Code Making Panel will vote on the proposal and comment on their findings. Here is an example.

5-120 Log #1298 NEC-P05 Final Action: Accept
(250.32(A))
(A) Grounding Electrode. Building(s) or structure(s) supplied by feeder(s) or branch circuit(s) shall have a grounding electrode or grounding electrode system installed in accordance with 250.50 Part III of 250 . The grounding electrode conductor(s) shall be connected in accordance with 250.32(B) or (C). Where there is no existing grounding electrode, the grounding electrode(s) required in 250.50 shall be installed.
Substantiation: As now worded, 250.32(A) only states that this grounding electrode is required to conform to the provisions of 250.50 and nowhere in
250.50 does it refer to 250.53(D) nor 250.56.
As an instructor of both electrical contractors and inspectors in the state of
North Carolina, the most asked questions on grounding are about 250.32(A).
The questions I am always asked are:
What are the requirements for the grounding electrode system at a building or structure fed by a feeder? If a water pipe that is in contact with the earth for more than ten feet and then it is connected to a nonmetallic pipe is used as the grounding electrode is it required to conform with 250.53(D)? If a ground pipe or rod is used as the electrode, is it required to conform to 250.56?
By adding that 250.32(A) must comply to Part III of 250 would be all encompassing and include the supplementary addition of another electrode outlined in 250.53(D)(2) and the resistance to ground of a rod, pipe, or plate found in 250.56. There would be conformity to the grounding electrode system between a feeder that supplies another building or structure and at a service.

Panel Meeting Action: Accept
Number Eligible to Vote: 15
Ballot Results: Affirmative: 15

Here I saw an issue with the method of installing a grounding electrode at the remote building and addressed it with a proposal. The Code Making Panel agreed with me that this was an issue and accepted my proposal which was adopted to the 2008 code.

Now does this mean that every installation, maybe millions, that were done and code compliant in the 2002 code cycle needs to be changed? Who would pick up the bill for all this work? No they complied with the code of that era and do not need to be addressed unless someone works on that installation at which time it must meet the current standards.
This type of discussion could go on for days or even weeks concerning such items as equipment grounding conductors, two wire receptacle verses three wire receptacles, GFCI devices and the list goes on and on and on.

The bottom line on your installation is this, it wouldn’t pass an inspection today and in my opinion wouldn’t have passed an inspection in 1977 but the fact is that it is there now. As long as you do nothing to it then it needs nothing done but the minute you start working on it then it must meet today’s standards.

If I buy a brand new car that car will have seat belts and air bags but if I buy me a 1949 Packard it will have neither but I can still buy insurance and tags and drive to and from work each and every day. Now in your mind which is safer the new car or the old car? Will either one of them do the same job? The same is true with the installation you have.

JWelectric

Reaction score
Here is Part one, if this doesn't work they can easily be found.

This is very promising and very exciting and he is a man without even a college degree or a background in it. He is a DIY'er in every sense of the word. He has cancer, and may just had found a cure and will save many people's lives, including mine because I live with cancer, and he did it with electrical/radio/energy waves! How remarkable.

Would you say that he has a background in the field that he was working or do you think he got all his information from a do-it-yourself web site?

I was impressed with his work, good find.

Cookie

Reaction score
Would you say that he has a background in the field that he was working or do you think he got all his information from a do-it-yourself web site?

All I can say is that his "find" would not had been invented if he didn't believe in himself and trust in what he was doing. Because of this, many lives may be saved. This is remarkable.

Last edited:

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score

Kanzius is an autodidact. The people working on the nanoparticle technology at M.D. Anderson are not. Very promising technology on both ends. Clinical trial may start in three years.

The doctors at Anderson are the best; they treated my younger sister. If anyone can make it work, they will.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Kanzius is an autodidact. The people working on the nanoparticle technology at M.D. Anderson are not. Very promising technology on both ends. Clinical trial may start in three years.

The doctors at Anderson are the best; they treated my younger sister. If anyone can make it work, they will.

Very fancy way of saying DIYr...while he is not perfecting it he did make the prototype as far as I know by doing a bit of DIYing and asking questions...

JWelectric

Reaction score

All I can say is that his "find" would not had been invented if he didn't believe in himself and trust in what he was doing. Because of this, many lives may be saved. This is remarkable.

The question was, “Would you say that he has a background in the field that he was working?â€

He said that he was a radio tech and he was working on radio frequencies

I don’t think that this can be used to compare someone that has no knowledge in the electrical field asking questions on a web site to make an electrical installation

Cookie

Reaction score
Here you go: How nice he went to the same school as my husband. This man is a good man who will save many lives.

ico010x010clock.gif
Nov 5, 2008 6:49 pm US/Eastern
Doctors Excited Over Man's Cancer-Fighting Machine

(KDKA) A man who grew up in Washington County has come up with a treatment idea that has the nation's top doctors excited.

He was featured on 60 Minutes and since then there has been even more promising news about his cancer fighting machine.

John Kanzius went to Trinity High School, lived in Carrick for a while and has a background in broadcasting. Now, he lives in Erie, where he has a lab, and that's where he show KDKA's David Highfield the machine that could revolutionize how cancer is treated.

It began for Kanzius six years ago after he was diagnosed with leukemia and was at a hospital in Texas.

"There were hundreds of kids taking chemotherapy, and their hair loss, I thought, 'God, I didn't know this existed.' This was like a torture camp that's hidden from the rest of the world," said Kanzius. "I said to my wife there has to be a better way to treat cancer."

That better way came to him one sleepless night and he immediately went to work.

"Three o'clock in the morning, I started ripping stuff apart in my wife's cupboard," he told KDKA.

He built an early version of the machine, which sends radio waves between the boxes. It can make a florescent tube light up.

"The interesting thing is, you can put your hand in here and you don't feel anything," said Kanzius.

But the waves definitely affect tiny pieces of metal called nano-particles and causes them to quickly heat up. In just seven seconds, they are hot enough to destroy cancer without damaging nearby tissue.

For some perspective, imagine a dime is a nano-particle. That means the cancer cell would be the size of Heinz Field. It would take twenty of those nano-particles to kill the cancer cell. The physics changes as you widen the space.

Dr. David Geller, co-director of the University of Pittsburgh's Liver Cancer Center, is now testing the treatment on rats with nano-particles made of gold.

"I'm enthusiastic. I think that we have to take it one cancer at a time, one small step forward at a time," said Dr. Geller. "There are no shortcuts to this type of work."

Kanzius says that they have now tackled one big obstacle in finding a way to target not just tumors but also the rogue cancer cells that spread the disease to other parts of the body. They do it by attaching antibodies to the nano-particles, causing them to hunt down the cancer.

Also, Kanzius says he has built a machine to treat the entire body.

"I think this treatment is only going take about 15, 20 seconds max," said Kanzius.

He also says unlike chemotherapy or radiation, the only side effect from the treatment is a cure. However, for now it's only being tested on animals.

Researchers say they are probably about two or three years away from clinical trial.

"I don't know if I'll be around for it to make a difference, but it was never about me, it was always about others," said Kanzuis.

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
He may not be an autodidact, but he ain't no DIY'er

His background was building radios as a kid...

According to his own bio:

"John is the CEO and Manager of Therm Med, LLC, and has spent his entire career in broadcast engineering, management and ownership. John began his career working in the high power AM/FM/Television Engineering Department of Radio Corporation of America (RCA) in Meadowlands, Pennsylvania. While working for RCA in the early 1960’s, John gained notoriety in the engineering community by solving with a fifty-cent part an engineering phenomenon regarding high powered color television transmission distortion which had vexed a team of electrical engineers, Ph.D’s and professors for several years."

and...

"John’s educational background includes study of electronics and electrical engineering at the Allegheny Technical Institute and the University of Pittsburgh."

Formal study, a lifelong in broadcast career, and notoriety in the engineering community is a long way from a building radios as a kid. I wish him and the researchers at M. D. Anderson the greatest of success in their endeavors.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks