A Progress Report on my Sister's house in NY and a Request for Suggestions for my House in MA

Users who are viewing this thread

Beth W.

Reaction score
Progress Report: My sister found an independent plumber willing and able to install whatever water treatment she orders! I last posted in April. House located in rural NY, built in the 1860's, stacked stone basement, hard well water, etc.

Thank you to forum members dittohead and Reach4 for your water treatment options and explanations. And to flat_twin for sharing purchasing information about the Bock water heater.
My sister and I still need to order the equipment but at least there is a plumber on board. Will post before and after pictures.

Request for suggestions for my house in MA: We have soft well water and would like to replace our 22 year old AquaPure upflow acid neutralizer, APUN200, made in Meridan, CT. What should we replace it with? We also have sediment. Thinking about some type of backwashing filter but don't know which one would be good.

KarLabs report

Aluminum, 0.27 mg/L MCL: [0.050 mg/L]

Calcium, total 8.0 mg/L

Lead, total . 0.003 mg/L MCL: 0.015 mg/

Magnesium, total 5.0 mg/L

Manganese, total . 0.224 mg/L MCL: [0.05 mg/L]

Potassium, total 3.1 mg/L

Silicon, total 3.7 mg/L

Iron, total . 0.03 mg/L MCL: [0.3 mg/L]

Lead, total . 0.003 mg/L MCL: 0.015 mg/L

Potassium, total 3.1 mg/L

Silicon, total . 3.7 mg/L

Sodium, total 75.9 mg/L MCL: [20 mg/L]

Sulfur, total, 2.8 mg/L

Yttrium, total 0.013 mg/L

Zinc, total 0.04 mg/L MCL: [5 mg/L]

Bacteria, E. coli Negative
Bacteria, total coliform . Negative

Alkalinity (as CaCO3) 6 mg/L

Bicarbonate (as CaCO3) 6 mg/L

Chloride 145 mg/L MCL: [250 mg/L]

Conductivity 515 micromhos/cm

Corrosivity, Langelier Index -4.4 S.U.

Corrosivity, Ryznar Index 14.2 S.U.

Hardness 40.6 mg/L (as CaCO3)

Hardness (gpg) 2.4 grains/gallon

Nitrogen, nitrate 6.4 mg/L MCL: 10 mg/L

PH 5.4 S.U. MCL: 6.5-8.5su

Salinity 0.257 ppt

Silica (calc. from Silicon) Silica concentration. 7.9 mg/L

Sodium adsorption ratio 5.18

Sulfate 8 mg/L MCL: [250 mg/L]

Turbidity <1 NTU None found (acceptable result) MCL: {0.3}

Tot. diss. solids, estimated 350 mg/L MCL: [500 mg/L]

Thank you.

Beth W.

Reaction score

SuperGreg

Reaction score
Thank you for your recommendation. We have a 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath house, 3 people now -had 5 before- so thinking getting a 1.5 cu. ft. Old acid neutralized is 2 cu. ft. I think.

Good to know yours removes sediment!

Yeah my old up flow unit was 2 cu ft. I'm not sure if up flow is sized larger or what, but it seems to me that the flow rate for it and my current 1 cu ft down flow unit are the same. Pretty sure any down flow filter will remove sediment. I have quite a bit of sediment, and currently have pH neutralizer -> iron filter -> carbon filter -> ultra filter. Most of the time, the water is clear after the neutralizer. If I pump a lot of water it gets dirtier though, the three initial filters remove the majority of it and the ultra filter takes care of the rest.

Reach4

Reaction score
Should I be concerned about the Manganese, 0.224 mp/L, in my soft water?
I think your iron treatment before the softener will remove that, and the softener will remove any residual as it would a small amount of residual iron. I should have paid more attention to your Mn when you posted. My Mn is below the test threshold, so I was not tuned into that.

SuperGreg

Reaction score
SuperGreg: "CWS-US control valves, which are made for us by Canature Corp." from CleanWaterStore. Valves as good and reliable as Fleck, Clack or Autotrol?

Dittohead: I didn't get your PM.

From what I've read, they share some technology and valve designs with Fleck and are US made. I don't know enough to know which parts are shared and interchangeable with which models, I came across a page that listed the details before but I can't find it now. Maybe someone else knows.

My ultra filter has a Fleck 7000 head and the interface is definitely more sophisticated and user friendly to program, but regardless so far they both do their job. One thing about the Fleck (at least the one I have) is there is no option for a battery backup, while my other three filters from CWS take a 9v battery. If power is lost during backwash they will close the valve and wait until power is restored, and retain their clocks and all settings.

Edit to add: I believe they also offer Fleck valves as an option if you prefer.

Last edited:

Beth W.

Reaction score
Thank you for the info about the valves.
I wasn't planning on having an iron filter or a water softener. That's my sister's house in NY. I'm in MA. Easy to get my threads mixed up!

For my house in MA I was thinking about a twist-down filter, a backwashing filter for more sediment and an acid neutralizer for the soft water. Do you and the experts here think this is a good plan based on my KarLab report? PH 5.4, Hardness 4.2 gpg, Iron 0.03 mg/L and Manganese 0.224 mg/L.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks