A pickle of a situation - replacing 1" & 1.25" copper with ABS in very tight space

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockwood

Reaction score
A have a pickle of a problem which I'd like to hear of the opinion of others. Please refer to my attached diagram with labels.

The situation:

1) A 1956 house with copper plumbing in the kitchen. Section C, on the left side of the pipe, has all corroded out due to high strength clog cleaner we used two years ago. I need to replace everything with 1-1/4" ABS up to the red cut mark near "A".
2) There is zero space behind the pipes and there isn't any room to use a blow torch.
3) The lateral and lower drain pipes are 1-1/4" copper and the top vent is 1" copper.
4) Removal and insertion of the new pipes will be a challenge but not impossible. The left lateral pipe is behind a kitchen counter which can't be removed. The lower drain pipe goes into the basement where there is some leeway. The top vent pipe has little "give" in it to move around for new a new ABS attachment.

The problems for the forums:

1) How can I best cut out these 3 copper pipes given that there is no room for a hack saw or jigsaw? Even a cable wire will be difficult to loop around the back sides. There are wood studs on either side of the vertical pipe.

2) My main issue and dilemma at this hour -- what options do I have to connect new 1-1/4" ABS to the 1" copper vent pipe at the red cut line? There are no such connectors available in ABS that I know of.

2a) A compression connector? There won't be a lot of space behind the pipe for the wider connector.

2b) A copper coupling to the existing 1" copper pipe used along with a liquid glue such as "Just for Copper" ($18) since I can't use a blow torch. I could then use a 1-1/4" ABS to copper connector thereafter.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/NIBCO-1-1-4-in-x-1-in-Copper-Slip-Coupling-Fitting/3504902

2c) Or some kind of forum suggested "hack" so that I could (somehow) slip a 1.25" ABS-to-copper connector over top of the existing 1" copper pipe? This is a vent pipe so it may not be as important to get a tight fit unless the drain pipe were to back up one day in the future.

Thanks for any suggestions and guidance.

Attachments

• DSCF7151.JPG
    DSCF7151.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 309

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may be better off to run a new line to the kitchen sink under the floor and up through the cabinet, under the sink and adding an AAV to vent the p-trap.

I've never heard of a 1" copper pipe venting anything. I have heard of 1-1/4" venting in old homes.

They do make a Mission coupling that goes between copper sizing and plastic sizing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks