A.O. Smith water heater sold by Lowe's

Users who are viewing this thread

Anka

Reaction score
I recently heard that these A O Smith sold by Lowes are not orginal A O Smith heaters.
Does anyone could explain is it true and if yes,where to by orginal A O Smith?
thanks,Anna

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I recently heard that these A O Smith sold by Lowes are not orginal A O Smith heaters.
Does anyone could explain is it true and if yes,where to by orginal A O Smith?
thanks,Anna
Anna,
Do you really believe that a manufacturer would allow any other company to use their name on a product?

Do you think AO Smith (terrible company in my opinion) would bother to make one heater less reliable than another?

Whomever you "heard it from", what are their qualifications?

What is considered an "original heater"?

Did you also know there is a manufacturer who manufacturers a few water heaters under different brand names?>

Sears for example with Kenmore product line

Treeman

Reaction score
If memory serves, that rumor appeared on this site. Master Plumber Mark:

"According to this SMITH supplier , all that has happenned is they have put a WHIRLPOOL heater into a box that says Smith on it......its exactly the same Whirlpool heater and just the name has changed .. the parts are the same ... And they are sub standard parts compaired to what goes on a SMITH water heater"

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
If memory serves, that rumor appeared on this site. Master Plumber Mark:

"According to this SMITH supplier , all that has happenned is they have put a WHIRLPOOL heater into a box that says Smith on it......its exactly the same Whirlpool heater and just the name has changed .. the parts are the same ... And they are sub standard parts compaired to what goes on a SMITH water heater"

Does it really make sense to knowingly use "substandard" parts and give a long warrantee or leave yourself open to lawsuits for product failure?

Anka

Reaction score
Lowes carry the A.O. Smith Signature series heaters. Then I looked at Supplyhouse.com and they have A.O. Smith ProLine series.There must be a difference!I
There is a piece of truth in every rumor:)

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
just because it has a different model name doesn't mean there is difference companies often market identical products under different names. that said it certainly doesn't mean that a company wouldn't manufacture a similar model with some different parts for a store or under a different name

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks