Users who are viewing this thread

Taylor Love

Taylor Love
Staff member
Administrator + Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Actually, it isn't new. It's the same theme every guest and new member has been using since the site upgrade in June. Turns out all veteran members were using a theme that is no longer available to choose, and so nothing looked good for them. A simple SQL query later and now everyone is using the same design theme. I hope this helps a few people.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Actually, it isn't new. It's the same theme every guest and new member has been using since the site upgrade in June. Turns out all veteran members were using a theme that is no longer available to choose, and so nothing looked good for them. A simple SQL query later and now everyone is using the same design theme. I hope this helps a few people.

I do like the work that you are doing Taylor, Keep up the great work.

SQL is cool, As long as the backups keep up...

I do like your new site, but I am a old fart trying to keep up with you new studs.

Code is Cooler than girls... And the Code does what you tell it too.

DonL

Last edited:

Taylor Love

Taylor Love
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
I do like the work that you are doing Taylor, Keep up the great work.

Thank you! Good to know the changes are positive.

SQL is cool, As long as the backups keep up...

Indeed. Automated backups are a good thing.

I do like your new site, but I am a old fart trying to keep up with you new studs.

It definitely is different from the usual forum system. Personally, I feel like it is a lot more active and responsive so I love it.

Taylor Love

Taylor Love
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Windows 8.1 and Firefox. Your link just brings up a screen image or a typical page.

6059c2d3a1.png

9991f5063c.png

^The edit button.

DonL

Reaction score
6059c2d3a1.png

9991f5063c.png

^The edit button.

I do notice Firefox has a hard time Refreshing a page.

If I do a manual refresh, I can see the new page. If I do not manually reload a page, then I see old pages and post.

Edit works for me, but Reply yields different results on my XP machine using Firefox.

Windows 8 has its own problems built in. 8.1 may be a bit better, but not much.

If the server can handle the load, a Forced Reload may work best, so everyone gets your new code.

It looks like your site is getting a lot of hits, That is great.

Have fun, You know I am...

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am not sure what "lumagaizen.com" is supposed to do, but yesterday it brought up one of your site pages and today it says 'not found". ^edit doesn't do anything either.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am not sure what "lumagaizen.com" is supposed to do, but yesterday it brought up one of your site pages and today it says 'not found". ^edit doesn't do anything either. Another case of someone "improving" something that was not broken in the first place.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
I am not sure what "lumagaizen.com" is supposed to do, but yesterday it brought up one of your site pages and today it says 'not found". ^edit doesn't do anything either. Another case of someone "improving" something that was not broken in the first place.
I wouldn't be quite that harsh. Things that were broken got fixed too. Unlike mature technologies (like plumbing) web stuff is a moving target -- stand still and you get left behind.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When I was the system's analyst and senior programmer at a university, we had a programmer decide to upgrade a program. He managed to corrupt the payroll file AND the backup file. It took me 3 weeks of patching, reprogramming, testing, and verifying to get the files back to where we were before he started, then we had to run the intermediate payrolls to make them current. So, I am not a proponent "Change for the sake of change".

Bluebinky

Reaction score
When I was the system's analyst and senior programmer at a university, we had a programmer decide to upgrade a program. He managed to corrupt the payroll file AND the backup file. It took me 3 weeks of patching, reprogramming, testing, and verifying to get the files back to where we were before he started, then we had to run the intermediate payrolls to make them current. So, I am not a proponent "Change for the sake of change".
I agree.
On the other hand, at work, I am forced to use Firefox as my browser for various compatibility reasons. Until this latest round of changes, I could not get to this forum from here without starting another browser...
As new browser versions are introduced, site traffic grows, (not to mention add revenue reasons) some tweaking is bound to be necessary. Besides, let the "kid" have some fun.

Reach4

Reaction score
Before the upgrade, the forum would frequently hang. Double posts were common, or the forum would say that you could not post so soon after the last one (a double-post was then thus averted). Don't you remember posts somehow getting lost and having to be re-entered.

Speeds are much better now. The lack of hangs is great. Yes, some interface things changed, and we had to find the new equivalent... such as Conversations instead of PMs. I think the function has improved a lot. Now my view is not the moderator view that hj saw and sees. So my observations are not relevant to that. But one very observable change is the reduction in accidental double-posts by non-moderators.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Double posts were common, or the forum would say that you could not post so soon after the last one (a double-post was then thus averted).

Actually that is my complaint because it is making double and triple posts "easier". When I click on "post reply" it may or may not move it up to the thread. If it doesn't, then I have the option of assuming it was done and will appear next time or clicking "post reply" again and thus possibly have a double, triple post, or as happened before I discovered it was happening MANY duplicates, and since the "delete" function also does not work we were/are stuck with them.

DonL

Reaction score
quote; Double posts were common, or the forum would say that you could not post so soon after the last one (a double-post was then thus averted).

Actually that is my complaint because it is making double and triple posts "easier". When I click on "post reply" it may or may not move it up to the thread. If it doesn't, then I have the option of assuming it was done and will appear next time or clicking "post reply" again and thus possibly have a double, triple post, or as happened before I discovered it was happening MANY duplicates, and since the "delete" function also does not work we were/are stuck with them.

I had a double post, or it looked like I did on my computer. I was using Firefox.

I edited the second post, to say deleted because of double post.

Then my original post was gone.

A lot of the problem seems to be browser updates on a page that you are on.

If I close my browser, then reopen it, I see the real pages and post on the server. But my post gets lost.

What is up with Recent Post, and New Post ? I do not get that one.

Taylor Love

Taylor Love
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
I had a double post, or it looked like I did on my computer. I was using Firefox. What is up with Recent Post, and New Post ? I do not get that one.

Maybe there is an issue with Firefox. Are you using noscript? Does it happen consistently enough to where you could reliably do a double post with 10 attempts? If so, maybe we can do a troubleshooting session.

Also, HJ, the fact that the forum software isn't working for you isn't my fault. I'll be trying to fix it for you, but don't be pointing a finger at me.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
I have not had a double post problem for a long time.

I think it may have been my ISP dropping out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks