A Half Bath Conversion

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I did this shower a number of years ago, prior to most of the training I've subsequently had, and yes, there are some rookie errors in it, but it works, doesn't leak, pleases my mother which was the major point. She chose the tile and the small room dictated the layout. Had to turn the toilet 90-degrees, which was a pain with 6" CI pipe underneath tight up against the plaster ceiling below. Plank floors got 1/2" ply added and had the window to deal with and wanted the shower as wide as possible in the space while still maintaining enough gap to the sink required by code for passage...it was close. I thought the wall extension was novel, and keeps you from bumping into a square protrusion if you go in there at night without the lights on. The plaster walls are not plumb, so some of the cuts in the corners are weird since they are not flat, either. Messing with them would have made the transition into the room, especially with the window there a big eyesore, so were left. The ledger board slipped and since I did the corner pieces last, I didn't notice until it was too late. So, the niche didn't quite line up as I'd planned. Anyways, it works, and I know better. It does not leak, and has been solid for a number of years. So, yes, I have tiled something, and there are other projects that aren't easy to photograph later that I may get a chance to include as time and the opportunity arises. The seat is by Innovis http://innoviscorp.com/better-bench and, having it floating makes the shower look and feel bigger. And, if you're facing it, you can have your feet underneath, which does give you more room. The ADA rated safety bar is from WingIts www.wingits.com and I used their commercial SS anchors. You need careful measurements (I used a board with a hole bored into it to help hold the diamond core bit from walking) as the slots in the bar's mounting flange only have a very short slot for leeway. Those things are really solid. Expensive, but if you are retrofitting and do not have blocking in place, they provide an ADA rated solution to adding a bar.
DSC_0036.JPG
DSC_0037.JPG
DSC_0038.JPG
DSC_0039.JPG
DSC_0040.JPG
DSC_0041.JPG

Jadnashua

Reaction score
No...I get a lot of flack because I'd not shown any of my tiling jobs...I'm showing this older one to illustrate that in fact, I have done some, and to show a few products that I found useful that others may be interested in.

This one is 400-miles from my home, so I don't get back here all that often.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
No...I get a lot of flack because I'd not shown any of my tiling jobs...I'm showing this older one to illustrate that in fact, I have done some, and to show a few products that I found useful that others may be interested in.

This one is 400-miles from my home, so I don't get back here all that often.

A. You should visit your Mother more often ( if she will have you)

B. Your post leads us and anyone reading to believe there is more than this 1 example, perhaps 2? can i hear 3 ?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I've never said I did this as a business or on a regular basis...but, that I have tiled more than one project. And, while my actual tiling skill may not be fantastic, it's not bad, and understanding the fundamentals is paramount if it is going to work well. Looks are subjective. I've been around enough to know if something will work or not on many things. While looks are important, the guts are more important if you don't do that right, the long-term result will suffer. Most of my posts are related to doing the prep right, and I leave the design of the 'pretty' stuff on the exterior to personal preferences. Unfortunately, there are LOTS of installations that look great, but don't function well. SOme of the finishing details finesses only come with practice and experience...building the guts right, in some ways is easier, since you are going to cover it up, so looks aren't super important.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
I didn't think we'd ever see moms shower. Its about time. LOL

I'll give you credit for throwing it out to see, and pointing out the problems you had.

I've built a lot of different things in my days, and bathrooms are by far the toughest to get right. Anyone(especially DIYers) that has built one, and it lasts gets some respect from me.

Nice job, now go visit your mom.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks