A flow meter for tub usage?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Mad Plumber, Oct 26, 2008.

  1. Mad Plumber

    Mad Plumber Mad Skills

    Aug 13, 2005
    To whom it may concern,
    My name is Howard and I am a student working on a project development assignment. We are trying to develop a product that needs to use a flow meter to measure the flow rate coming from a bathtub. It is basically an automated bathtub, but it needs to know the flow rate in order to automate the water for the person who needs to take a bath/shower. My question is if you know if a magnetic flow meter or any flow meter of any kind would be suitable for this type of application.
    Is there room for such a device to be installed on piping? Are there other smaller flow meter you could suggest for this application?
    Thank you, and looking for your reply.

    UTA Student
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2010
  2. jimbo

    jimbo Plumber

    Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    There are devices available. google under flow meter, and industrial process control

    There is room under a tub or behind the wall for this stuff, but it will need access for maintenance and repair, so now you have an issue with conventional construction procedures. You will certainly have a n issue with the cost of all this!
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

    By definition this meter would have to be installed between the shower control valve and the shower head, which means it would have to be fairly small or involve convoluted piping to accomdate a larger device. There are many inline meters which use trasducers to measure the flow, thus not impeding it.
  5. Southern Man

    Southern Man DIY Hillbilly

    Jun 27, 2008
    North Carolina
    Ah ha!! This is a trick question and both of you failed. "Guest" stated that he had to measure the flow rate coming from a bathtub, and you both gave him answers to measure volume only, and one of you suggested a device specifically to measure the supply.

    Since the drain is open to the atmosphere and could be clear water I suggest that Mr. Guest use a Parshall flume.

    j/k :D
  6. Furd

    Furd Engineer

    Jul 3, 2007
    Retired energy systems engineer
    Wet side of Washington State
    You're right that it IS a trick question although I don't think it was really meant as one. At any rate (pun intended), I would likely use a paddle wheel flowmeter, regardless of whether it was on the supply or drain.
Similar Threads: flow meter
Forum Title Date
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Increase diameter to eliminate flow noise? Jun 21, 2016
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Need Advice/ Low water flow volume -Possible Meter shut-off Valve problem Apr 11, 2014
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Water meter shows flow Jul 2, 2011
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Sink overflowing Alzhiemer's - need metering push faucet? Nov 14, 2006
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Tankless water heater flow switch problems Sep 29, 2017

Share This Page