A few questions before install- Torque arrestor Q , priming? and my well is temporarily "artesian"

Users who are viewing this thread

thelefthandedman

Reaction score
Hi folks. I very much enjoy and appreciate this forum. You all have helped me out quite a bit.
I am getting ready to install a new pump but want to be sure of a few things. I have a 1/2hp 230v submersible going down 80 feet. I have seen some video and pics that show the power wires being clamped under (inside) the pipe clamps on the torque arrestor. Seems to me that the pressure and sharpness of the clamp would put stress on the wires and the wires would compromise the grip of the clamp on the well pipe. What is the correct way to install one?
I am also confused about priming the system or if that is something that needs to be done at all. Is it making sure there is water inside the drop pipe before starting?
And last but not least - The fun one! - I live in mountains with about 180 deg of steep rises around my home. With all the rain we've been having, I have had water generously pouring out of my well head for almost 2 months now. Does this change anything for me or is there anything I should be aware of with this particular situation?
Will submerging the system in all of this water essentially "self prime" it?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Submersibles do not need priming. As soon as they are submerged in water they are primed and ready to go. Torque arrestors are more trouble than they are worth. They can cause the pump to get stuck in the well. Use double jacketed wire and tape it every 10-20 feet, and don't let the pump cycle on/off too much, torque doesn't need to be arrested. Flowing wells are common. Just make sure the pipe it is flowing from won't let bugs and mice in the well when it is not flowing. If it flows sometimes and sometimes not, I would probably use a check valve on the discharge.

thelefthandedman

Reaction score
Submersibles do not need priming. As soon as they are submerged in water they are primed and ready to go. Torque arrestors are more trouble than they are worth. They can cause the pump to get stuck in the well. Use double jacketed wire and tape it every 10-20 feet, and don't let the pump cycle on/off too much, torque doesn't need to be arrested. Flowing wells are common. Just make sure the pipe it is flowing from won't let bugs and mice in the well when it is not flowing. If it flows sometimes and sometimes not, I would probably use a check valve on the discharge.

thelefthandedman

Reaction score
What about wire guards (white plastic centering discs?

Ok. great.that all makes me feel a little better. What about the wire standoffs , the white plastic center discs? I am using the black poly pipe that comes in a roll and felt that since its not as rigid that it could use at least one or two. I considering putting at least one either just above or below my wiring splice,, which is 32 inches above the discharge. Should I use any? if so, where ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks