A disgusting problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Craig234

Reaction score
My kitchen sink backed up and half filled with water.

Then thousands of tiny worms were swimming in it. I have no idea where they came from, but pretty clearly some discarded food.

I let the water evaporate over a long period, and it did to the drain level, but not further.

I tried pouring some boiling water on it, no effect.

I tried pouring some dollar store drain chemical liquid on it, no effect.

I repeated both over the next day or two, no effect.

I tried a plastic thing designed to be pushed into drains to clear them. It goes in without resistance all the way, as if it's hitting nothing but water. No effect.

Finally, I used a plunger. Oh boy. It 'splurts' disgusting brown fluid, with a foul odor, out of the drain, but doesn't clear it.

I'm not a DIY. I see no alternative now but to call a plumber and feel badly for them.

But I thought I'd post to see if there's any other advice, besides pour gasoline on it and burn it, which is tempting, and to let you feel good you don't have this sink.

I have to suspect the clog is more than a foot down the drain, further than the plastic thing reaches, and that the water filling the drain is just disgusting.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The little plastic thing is for pulling hair from a bathroom sink. I'm guessing that you are not combing your hair at the kitchen sink though. The kitchen gets grease too often and old worn disposers sometimes do poorly at chipping up waste food. You nay be able to put a large bowl to catch water from a p-trap and empty that. If it's beyond the trap I would call s plumber to snake the line. Tell him you put chemicals down the drain. That stuff is dangerous. Dangerous for you too.

Craig234

Reaction score
I actually don't have a garbage disposal. I don't know what a p-trap is. I think a plumber is the way to go soon.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks