A cutting knife was flushed down the toilet.. and disappeared!

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Mel Kale, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Mel Kale

Mel Kale New Member

Hi!

Renovations have been going on in my bathroom and a cutting knife has been flushed down the toilet by accident.

I tried to use the Cobra Power Plunge-it to make it reappear but nothing happened.

Thank you in advance for your help!

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    If it's a small knife, perhaps it went through, though most of the time I would guess that it's in the trapway somewhere. Sometimes I have to pull the bowl and run an auger from the bottom, hoping to push things back out the way they came.

[​IMG]

Jamie Love with an auger.

[​IMG]

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Mel Kale

Mel Kale New Member

Thank you for your reply Terry! The knife is in fact a snap-off knife (regular size yellow ones), so quite big. I will most probably have to remove the toilet indeed. Will I have to change the rubber joint if I remove the toilet?

5. breplum

breplum Member

Plumbing and heating contractor
    Toilets are typically set with a "wax" ring. We use the 'no seep' style, though plumbers have been known to like one style over the other.
    There can be issues when removing a toilet and often we want to use a snake as Terry shows, to aid the process.
    Also, sometimes we need to install new closet bolts and/or shims to level the toilet.
    Not the easiest thing for first timer w/o experience.

6. JohnCT

JohnCT Still learning..slowly

Hopefully the knife is still the bowl trap and didn't get further.

John