A couple of shower mixer and trim questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Cristian

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a couple of nagging questions about my shower. The setup in question is a Delta Monitor that is in a house that was built in 2000. I'm doing a bit of a remodel and was planning to replace the shower trim stuff, to include the shower head, tub spout and mixer handle setup.

There's only one handle on the mixer, so I assume it's a model 14.

I already own a new old stock Kohler "Finial" trim set, so would it be possible to use this set instead of buying Delta specific trim? (I've already twisted off a couple of allen wrenches trying to break loose the mixer handle that's on there now, so I don't even know if the Kohler handle would fit on the end of the Delta valve.)

Also, a question that has actually bugged me for years now. I've noticed that unlike a regular shower arm, some shower arms (like the big fat Kohler Finial arm I have) are designed to screw right up against the wall. Do these arms simply employ a short stub arm to connect the arm to the plumbing? If this is the case, is there a trick to configuring these kinds of arms so that they're facing downward at precisely the point where they contact the wall?

Any light that could be shed on this is greatly appreciated!

Cristian

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply hj! So... is it safe for me to assume that the whole "getting the shower arm to face down when it meets the wall" thing will remain a dark art? Very intriguing!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some consider skill and expertise to be black arts!

FWIW, Kohler has some of the more difficult to install products out there...IMHO, their designers do not take any advice from those that actually have to install their stuff.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks