A couple of noob questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Xiaotian Guo

Reaction score
Hi,
I am planning a guest bathroom remodel, I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find answer anywhere -
- I plan to replace copper pipes with PEX , and it will run horizontally in that room, at what height should I run the lines? (3/4 pex, with tee to fixtures)
- ceiling mount drop ear elbow for rain shower head - should I make it as close to the drywall as possible or it should go a couple of inches higher?

Thanks,

X.T.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF it is in a outside wall or up in the attic...run it close to the drywall and underneath the insulation to provide the best chance of it not freezing. IF you're going to run it through studs, and it's close to the middle, that's the best. If it needs to run closer to the wall, then make sure to install nailing plates to help prevent you from poking holes in it should someone later decide to attach something later on.

Xiaotian Guo

Reaction score
IF it is in a outside wall or up in the attic...run it close to the drywall and underneath the insulation to provide the best chance of it not freezing. IF you're going to run it through studs, and it's close to the middle, that's the best. If it needs to run closer to the wall, then make sure to install nailing plates to help prevent you from poking holes in it should someone later decide to attach something later on.
Thank you! did not consider insulation before.
The bathroom is in second floor so ceiling mount drop ear elbow is in attic. most piping would be in 2 adjacent exterior walls. When you say 'it's close to the middle, that's the best' - what do you mean, the hole is in center of the 2x4 (thought it's required by code)? or pipe is running at 4' height?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WHen you have to cross studs, you really want a nailing plate, and just in case you happen to be able to penetrate that, having the pipe in the middle of the stud means a typical fastener may not reach it.

In an exterior wall, that can be a problem, as that might put the pipe into freezing temperatures in a cold day, especially with fiberglass, which, if there's an air leak, acts more like an air filter than insulation.

Running a shower head on the ceiling from an attic may mean that it does not drain well. In this case, some people use a tub spout in a shower as a 'toe tester', but, also, with the diverter, will help the line to drain easier so you don't have a big cold slug of water left as it probably won't drain from the head. It also gives you an easy place to fill a bucket in case you want to mop the floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks