A couple of brass questions

Users who are viewing this thread

ohionewbie

Reaction score
Had to connect a couple of 3/8" brass nipples/fittings together. Used both teflon and pipe dope on them. Three of the four threaded connections have three threads visible outside of the female fitting.

One of the threaded connections, despite my efforts, was fully tightened and secure leaving four threads outside of the fitting. There are no leaks. Am I being overly neurotic over nothing?

Additionally, I accidentally nicked (lightly) part of the brass nipple. Will this affect the longevity of the fitting?

Thanks for your help everyone!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
My wife's uncles once installed a water system in a barn for cattle. Since each stall was the same size they told the farmer's sons how long to cut the pipes and put them together while they went inside and ate lunch. The sons, being very hefty, were able to bury ALL the threads in the fittings, but when the uncles came out each station was a little short of where it should have been and the last one was several inches off. They had to take the whole thing apart and discard the fittings because they had been stretched and start all over with the proper engagement, which WAS "several threads showing". IF you had tightened the fittings as much as you WANTED to, you might have had the same problem or some cracked fittings. You must have OCD. ALL of your fittings should have had threads showing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks