A/C & Spouse

Users who are viewing this thread

Jed54

Reaction score
Fellow men....... I need your help....... Right now in St. Louis its 102'. And with this high temp my wife says its not cool enough in the house. The hvac in this home is 3 years old. Had service people out in April for pre season check, and everything is fine. Temp from duct work is 52'. My wife seems to think by setting the temp to 64' it should get to 64'. I cannot get her to understand this is impossible........ not unless we move into a meatlocker..... Myself,,,,,,,,, I'm comfortable....... Help!! Thanks ......... :D

CHH

Reaction score
Get an quote for a bigger A/C unit over the phone (hint, hint, bet it's a big quote, wink, wink) and pass number on to wife. See if the house isn't just fine all of the sudden.

Mort

Reaction score
Ceiling fans make a world of difference in our house. Good quality fans move a lot of air making it feel cooler overall.

Mort

Jed54

Reaction score
Have one ( fan ) in every room. except the bath... sometimes I think house is going to lift off, and join the shuttle.........

Jed54

Reaction score
Had the same one for thirty years.... I dont want to start over...... :D

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
An A/C system is designed to be able to lower the temperature a certain abount below the outside temp. As it gets hotter outside, then if the system was "under designed" you find that it gets harder to get the house down to the temp you want. No way to tell for sure about your system, because you would need a load calculation to see if it is sized right.

It is unlikely that any household air conditioner could ever get the house down to 64º. That is too cold, and the system would be way overpowered to actually do that.

What temp is it getting down to?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Two things that may help in the long run...put a radiant barrier in the attic under the roof joists. This lowered my attic temperature nearly 30-degrees and kept the insulation cooler. This resulted in the ceiling feeling like the interior walls...having the structure radiate heat back to you is not good. Then, assuming you can handle the texture it provides, look into the stuff from www.insuladd.com for the next time you paint, either interior or exterior. It does work. It keeps the shuttle from burning up on reentry, it will help in the house. Keep the shades closed during the worst times of the day to help prevent solar influences.

Check the interior humidity levels. If the a/c is oversized, it may not actually run enough to remove the max humidity. One of the Trane adds claims that by the simple switch between a fixed speed fan to a variable speed fan in the same house resulted in removing enough extra moisture from the air to fill an average backyard swimming pool by being smarter about how it runs. Humidity levels in a house can make a huge difference in perceived comfort.

Turn the fan on rather than leaving it in AUTO. The constant air movement helps keep things from stratifying and evens out the coverage room-to-room.

Jed54

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
Turn the fan on rather than leaving it in AUTO. The constant air movement helps keep things from stratifying and evens out the coverage room-to-room.

By leaving the fan in On position,, will system still cycle?

Mr_Pike

Reaction score
Jed54 said:
Fellow men....... I need your help....... Right now in St. Louis its 102'. And with this high temp my wife says its not cool enough in the house. The hvac in this home is 3 years old. Had service people out in April for pre season check, and everything is fine. Temp from duct work is 52'. My wife seems to think by setting the temp to 64' it should get to 64'. I cannot get her to understand this is impossible........ not unless we move into a meatlocker..... Myself,,,,,,,,, I'm comfortable....... Help!! Thanks ......... :D

It might be cheaper to turn one room into a walk in cooler.

Send her out to mow the lawn for a few hours, 72 will feel like ice water.

We set the temp to 77 at my house.

snafflekid

Electrical Engineer
Reaction score
Tell her she looks fat, that should chill her off quick. And you will be feeling the cool for a good long time too.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The fan ON setting has nothing to do with the thermostat cycling the a/c or heating unit...it just keeps the fan on all the time. You'll spend more in electric, but gain a little in efficiency. Today, when the fan turns off, the coil is still cool...letting the fan continue to run helps to use that cooling effect you paid for but don't use.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks