A 12-story residential building in Surfside, Florida, partially collapsed

Users who are viewing this thread

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Of course we are all guessing.
First guess: rebar corrosion so bad (salt water atmosphere and some other leaks) leading to structural steel failure. Yet, we've seen how much reinforcing steel goes into modern buildings. So hard to imagine it in a developed country.
I love forensic failure analysis.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One thing that was mentioned was that the building was sinking some as noticed by some cracks in the underground garage. In many areas of the world, as the population grows and they pump more water out of the ground, this is one major reason for land subsistence. Throw in then that salt water tends to replace it along the coast, it can cause all sorts of issues.

It will take a while before we know, or have a better idea why this happened. Last report had nearly 100-people unaccounted for. That whole wing pretty much pancaked. They did find a 10-year old boy that was alive, so there's hope for some yet.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I heard cracks in garage were blamed on nearby construction. It will be interesting to find out why building failed . I guess a 40 year inspection was underway and that was the first major required inspection if I heard correctly. This failure might spark changes to avoid occurrences to other similar buildings

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Updated, the last picture shows more that I didn't see before. A much larger part of the building, and not as clear about the support in the garage. If it was similar though, it might make sense. The link to the WP article is very good.

Looking at video, I see twelve stories being supported by three concrete columns where the parking garage is. If those supports are sinking in any way then that would account for the above section of building for pulling away and falling outward from the rest of the structure.
Pictures taken from video.

miami-condo-collapse-fox-2.jpg

Three support posts hold up the twelve stories.

miami-condo-collapse-fox.jpg

miami-condo-collapse-pi.jpg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...HkF9JBJmIZRoHJOTOofADbJcA4U7w71wyUIyI8p_yn8BA

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Subsistence is a problem in many cities. In Boston, a good portion of the Back Bay (high dollar residential area), is mostly fill that was a swamp ages ago. Many of the old buildings use wooden posts driven into the ground for support. Those lasted for decades, but the water table has been changing, allowing some to rot out...not easy to put new support structures underneath an existing building!

I think it's Jakarta, Indonesia, where they're abandoning the capital city and building a new one that won't be affected by both the sea level rise and the subsistence. The city has grown, and removing ground water has it sinking radically. Mexico City has a simlar problem. This is especially problematic where ever you have clay, as clay compresses considerably when it dries out, and it is much slower to rebound, if it does, as it also then becomes more dense, and doesn't allow that water to infiltrate it.

One report I read today was of a relative that was talking to a resident the evening before this incident...they mentioned that they were awakened by some loud creaking in the building. In general, a big, mainly concrete building creaking is not a good sign...unfortunately, that person probably won't have the benefit of learning from that mistake. Sad

SondraHenfling

Reaction score
Wow, I did not know about this one. Honestly, I do not really understand how these kinds of "events" can happen in 2021. I mean, we all know that saltwater atmosphere leads to rebar corrosion and structural steel failure, but as someone said above, we've seen how much reinforcing steel goes into modern buildings. Now we really have to question the quality of the materials used to build residential towers. This kind of thing should not happen in 2021 when we have so much information available, and basically, every domain has reached an insane level of development. Man, because of this kind of tragedy, the state has some insane unplanned expenses. Just imagine how many forklifts have been sent to a forklift truck repair and service after removing all that mess. Moreover, how much they had to spend on them. And many other things cost them a lot.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You Can buy a brand new car drive 16 k miles a year never touch it other than say a battery but how long will it last with zero maintenance?
changing conditions water on ground for 40 years , repeated warnings by engineers and an willing /unable homeowners to maintain property.
Very sad, no one really expects it till it happens. Only Hope to prevent further disasters like this not just in Florida

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
There's a FL engineer, his name is Jeff Ostroff, who posts videos of what is known up to date, explaining and raising possible causes for what actually happened.
A lot of what he says makes sense.
Go to YouTube and search by his name.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Two things will make the problem worse and compound the problems:
- the seal level IS rising, mostly slowly, but it's rising
- especially around cities, they're pumping more water out for drinking and other industrial uses, and that can cause ground subsistence, which can let salt water get where it couldn't before. Most major cities are starting to see this become more and more of a problem. Mexico City has a major problem with that, and the capital of Indonesia is literally planning to abandon that city and move elsewhere because of the two things above and the subsistence that's gotten so severe. Houston and Boston are also affected, and probably MANY other places, too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks