96% high efficiency furnace

Users who are viewing this thread

Dokat

Reaction score
guys - I live in a 2 floor home with crawl space attic with a current oversized furnace & a-coil that I'm upgrading to smaller units and high efficiency. Does it really matter where the exhaust vent & intake PVC ducts go through - side wall which is approximately 10' from side wall or shingles roof? I'm in NYC and not sure how high the wasps can go - I'll be placing some sort of screen but should I also install a back-draft damper in both PVC ducts?

Also, how would you typically run the drain/condensate pipe? Is it to the nearest bathroom drain or should I drain it directly out through a PVC connecting into my gutters?

Thanks

Fitter30

Reaction score
Intake and exhaust can go either wall or roof but have to check the installation manual to be sure. Can't use a backdraft damper and wasps can go higher than a two stories. Condensate from any burner is corrosive has to be neutralized before going into a drain not a gutter.

Dokat

Reaction score
So how do I handle wasps? For my basement unit, I change to a very small hole material sold by this company that keep wasps out and change to bigger holes in the winter so there is less restriction

Dokat

Reaction score
Also side question - I recently installed a 8" fresh air intake and it's in a goose neck configuration. Do goose necks normally prevent insects from going in? The HVAC engineer said no insects will go in and climb up. Is that true?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks