90's Moen Chateau Shower Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

RichKy

Reaction score
I'm in the midst of a bathroom remodel and have an old Moen Chateau shower valve from the 90s with the clear tear drop handle. I brought a new Moen Align shower handle but the stop tube and temperature limiter do not work with the old valve. The new tube is larger than the existing valve body - about 1/8" smaller in diameter. Has anybody else had this experience? I'm thinking I'm going to need to get a new valve or did I get the wrong handle. (I guess the newer Posi-Temp valves are slightly larger.) I don't want to go back to the tear drop handle and the universal handles at HD and Lowes are cheap.
IMG_1581[1].JPG
IMG_1578[1].JPG
IMG_1582[1].JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You need parts for a Moentrol valve which uses the same parts as your Chateau. You may have to get them from Moen, since most distributors prefer to carry the Positemp.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You won't find a better time to cut that out and install a pressure balanced valve. I removed two of those at my parents home and replaced with the new Posi-Temps. I also pulled out an American Standard Push-Pull valve in the master that had been there since 62.
The Moen's I pulled were from the 70's.
They make new trims for the old valve. I pick up the TL473 trim with chrome lever handle. Ferguson has them.
Or pick out a Moentrol trim.

moen-2600-parts.jpg

index.php

Last edited:

RichKy

Reaction score
Thanks Terry, I call Moen today and they said I have a Standard Valve. The CS Rep said that a Moentrol trim kit should work with the existing valve. I'm going to give that a try.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, during a remodel, an inspector would require you to replace an older valve with one meeting today's codes which requires anti-scald technology which is usually the pressure balanced feature Terry mentioned. Take this opportunity to update the valve. In the future, you'll find it easier to find trim, should your desire push you for a new look.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; FWIW, during a remodel, an inspector would require you to replace an older valve with one meeting today's codes

ONLY if the valve were being replaced.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks