90 degree long sweep permitted?

Users who are viewing this thread

BenjaminCoop

Reaction score
This is a follow-up post to a recent thread, now with a mock-up to better illustrate my question. This shows a 2" shower drain and trap running through a 90 degree bend to catch a vent, then connecting to the 3" WC line as a wet vent for the WC. My question hinges on the following language in my local building code (which I believe is adopted from the IPC):

708.1.4 Changes of direction. Where a horizontal drainage pipe, a building drain or a building sewer has a change of horizontal direction greater than 45 degrees ( 0.79 rad), a cleanout shall be installed at the change of direction. Where more than one change of horizontal direction greater than 45 degrees ( 0.79 rad) occurs within 40 feet (12 192 mm) of developed length of piping, the cleanout installed for the first change of direction shall serve as the cleanout for all changes in direction within that 40 feet (12 192 mm) of developed length of piping.

The long sweep 90 I have indicated in the mock-up: is it ok as is? Does it need a cleanout just upstream of it given the above language? Could I pass inspection without a cleanout simply by using two 45s instead of the one 90?

Thanks for any input!

Benjamin

Attachments

• IMG_5203.jpg
    IMG_5203.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,036

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not so familiar with cleanout requirements. The section you quoted does seem to differentiate between two 45s with some pipe between them, and a long turn 90. Which doesn't make much sense to me.

If you have the room before hitting the wall, you could swap the 90 and the 45, that way there's definitely no cleanout requirement before the vent take off. And you could perhaps add an accessible cleanout on the vent riser, which seems like it could be useful, whether or not it is required.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
the long sweep is for a trap arm and is fine. It has no relationship with needed clean outs as it isn't a building drain . its a trap arm .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks