9 year old PEX is split, replace all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Hey guys. Don't know much about PEX. This is a 9 year old house and the PEX is split and leaking under the sink. Is this just one of those things, or did we get some bad pipe and need to replace all of it?

pex problem.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
We have been cold so I guess it is possible. House is well insulated and I don't see any holes where cold air could get in, so I really doubt it. House is occupied and kept warm. Just wanted to make sure they didn't make a bad batch 9 years ago? The insurance deductible is the same for fixing one pipe or the whole house. 5500 sounds high just to bring in another pipe from the ceiling though?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Can you see the actual pipe split, or could it possibly be at a fitting? Pex should have enough elasticity to not be damaged if it is frozen, but a fitting will not. If the pipe was scored when threading it in place, that will create a weak point, though, or if it is held tight in a pinch point - movement over time through thermal expansion/contraction could wear a hole, but not a split.

Of the three types of pex (-a, -b, and -c), type -A is the most flexible and has the highest concentration of cross-links. It also tends to cost a bit more than the other types, each of which was designed to try to make the process faster and cheaper while trying to retain most of the characteristics of type -A.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Thanks guys! The truth always comes out in the end. This house belongs to a lady I work with. Now I am hearing that there have been a couple of times it got cold enough that water was not working at that sink. :mad:

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Thanks guys! The truth always comes out in the end. This house belongs to a lady I work with. Now I am hearing that there have been a couple of times it got cold enough that water was not working at that sink. :mad:

When you get the section replaced, let us know the brand and type of PEX if it's not too much trouble.

I have a triplex that never had any problem until we had to have a sill plate replaced on the far end. After the house was put together, we always get a freeze on that wall. I'm going to have to pull the siding off and add an air barrier and fill any spaces in the sheathing.

John

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A good plumber is worth his/her weight in gold! It payed off to get a second opinion. The second plumber said the leak was above the slab and didn't need to replace all of it. Then he cut it out and replaced it for 150 bucks instead of 5500 bucks. Yeah!!! Had nothing to do with bad pipe or freezing as he took out two nails. :eek:

Thanks Guys!!!

pex nail.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Nails and screws may not leak immediately, but most of them end up rusting at later time, and that's when the issues start to show up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks