9 inch rough in toilet or a toilet that fits in front of baseboard heating unit

Users who are viewing this thread

Lois Lane

Reaction score
I have a 3 1/2 inch wide baseboard heat unit that runs behind my 30 plus year old toilet. It started leaking, but we cracked the tank replacing the wax seal. I tried salvaging it by spraying the inside with flexseal to no avail. The floor bolt to wall measures just over 12 inches, but with the baseboard heating unit I have just about 9 inches between the bolts and the baseboard heat enclosure, and the baseboard heating unit is 9 1/2 inches tall. I really do not want to remove or re-route the hot water pipes to the baseboard heat, especially since they go under tile and a poured concrete foundation. That would turn a one day $200 toilet replacement job into a $2000 job! Any suggestions on what toilets would fit? I have already given up on finding a beige toilet to match the sink and shower and was going to replace both the toilet and sink with white. I had wanted a chair height, elongated toilet, but at this point I will take anything that fits. Just to add aggravation to injury, the leak from the toilet was not discovered for some time and rusted out the baseboard heat enclosure, and I have to replace that as well.

Lois Lane

Reaction score
Ha I am answering my own question! I saw on this site that Toto Drake, American Standard Cadet 3 and Gerber Ultra are three toilets that might fit. Our local Home Depot carries the American Standard Cadet 3. Any other suggestions? I have been looking at drawings of toilet specs all day and am getting dizzy.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With the baseboard heater behind, it's the specs on the bowl that count.

The American Standard Cadet 3 series has some that will work.
The TOTO CST744 series is too long of a bowl in back.
The TOTO CST746 series would work, it has 3-15/16" behind the bowl on a 12" rough.

Brian Hackett

Reaction score
Same issue here with clearance to a hot water baseboard. The toilet I bought sits close to the pipe but not touching it. Would I be ok if I cut the baseboard cover to end at either side of toilet and install this way, or will the heat damage the toilet? I know the "correct" answer would be to buy a different toilet with the correct clearance but I'm really not concerned with how it looks at this point and I've already cut up the box it came in (I know. Stupid)
16120247410013373769549251411196.jpg

Lois Lane

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I looked at the Cadet, but is just did not look like it would fit. The specs for the Cadet 3 said the clearance from the wall was only 3 1/8 inches. I hated to haul it home, unbox it, find it didn't fit, and haul it back. I have done that once already! I ended up getting a super cheap Delta Foundations that fit without issues. I have an inch and a half behind the tank, and 1/2 inch between the baseboard and the back of the toilet base. Luckily my rough in measured exactly 12 1/2 inches. The base of the Delta Foundations gives you 4 inches clearance from the wall at the narrowest part 8 inches above the floor. I would have tried the Cadet if I had to have a beige toilet. The Delta only comes in white.

Peterson

Reaction score
One toilet you might want to look at is the Aquasource Henshaw which is available at Lowes. It is comfort height tall, and the base of it where it bolts to the floor is does not protrude all the way back to the wall like many of the new Kohler toilets do. It flushes pretty good and uses standard parts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks