760' deep well with 9' static head, 1 gpm, 40 ft of casing

Users who are viewing this thread

LuckyDog

Reaction score
Update on my well.

We set the Gould 7GS07 3-wire pump 300 feet below the pit-less adapter. A 50 psi CSV125 is about 18" below the pit-less.
The FloTec is working fine for now. No bad smell for now.

Tried to run the well dry the first day. With a hose attached to the boiler drain at the tank, it ran until the pump was only putting out about 20 psi. The switch on the tank is set at 40/60. I was surprised that the pump was still going. I thought the low pressure cut-off would have tripped at closer to 30psi. So, first day, the pump did not shut it's self off. After about 2 and 1/2 hours, I shut down the pump and generator myself.

The next day (about 18 hours later), I fired everything up again. The pressure jumped up to 40 psi pretty quick then slowly built up to 60 and shut the pump off.

I opened the drain valve and let it run again. It holds 40 psi for the longest time then slowly drops as the well is drawn down. It did finally stop producing enough pressure and the low pressure cut-out turned off the pump. I used a bucket to measure flow rate when I first started the pump. It was putting out a bit better than 10gpm. The first day I didn't notice any sediment, but wasn't really looking. On the second day, that first bucket full was pretty dark with sediment.

I didn't expect the floor guys to show up so soon, but a job canceled and they wanted to do it right away if they could. So, on the third day, I ran well hard again.

I filled a 275 gallon tote twice and cleaned their cement pump and gear. At the very end, I had to hold the switch on so they could finish their clean up. I would say that this was 3.5 to 4 hours of constant running. The well made it through. Both time, the water in the tote was looking really good. Didn't take a water sample but looked pretty clear.

Valveman - The 50psi CSV125 is 150 feet from tank. The 150 feet is 1" black poly. There is a checkvalve body, but the guts are out and a pit-less adapter in the line. When I was "dumping" the well, the pressure was rock steady at 40 psi. Is the 10 psi drop expected? Isn't that like 23 feet of head? When I closed the drain valve the pressure didn't jump up to 50psi like I expected. It just slowly increased to the cut-off pressure of 60psi. I am guessing that the CSV is not more than 10 feet below the pressure gauge; I haven't measured it though.

Overall, I am happy with the results. (Ignorance might be bliss too.)

But I am going to buy the Cycle Sensor as insurance for a happy marriage. ;)

LuckyDog

Reaction score
I'm guessing; 'bout 10 ft. Haven't measured it.

It is what it is. Guess the question is: live with it or change it out for a 60 psi one knowing I'm losing about 10 psi between the csv and tank?

Reach4

Reaction score
You ran about 10 GPM at 20 PSI at the pressure switch. Ignoring any drop by the CSV, that would seem to imply that you drew your water down to about 160 feet below your pressure switch.
img_4.png

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With the CSV12550-1 set 10' below the gauge, it should be holding about 47 PSI constant. But if your water level is 160'+, then your pump will not hold 47 PSI if you are using more than 7 GPM. Try running 2-3-4 GPM and see if if doesn't hold 47 PSI steady as it should.

LuckyDog

Reaction score
Plan on going up to the house this weekend. Maybe I can take some time and test some more. I'll post results when I get them.

Just to clarify, I know I was doing a little better than 10 gpm when the pump turns on and the static level is 9 - 18 ft below the well head.
By the time I am full open on about 50' of 1/2" cloth hose and only holding just over 20 psi at the tank gauge, I have no idea what the depth or flow is. It was slower but still viable.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have no idea what the depth or flow is.
Time how long it takes to fill a 5-gallon bucket. Divide 300 by the number of seconds, and you have GPM.

Last edited:

LuckyDog

Reaction score
I used a level and tripod as a makeshift transit (theodolite) and a tall friend to measure the physical head from CSV to pressure gauge. Turns out 10 or 11 ft. is about correct.

Ran the water for a spell at full open and the pump running. Not long, just long enough to flush the line if needed.

I then throttled down to 1 or 2 gpm.

I don't know how accurate my pressure gauge is. It cuts out at 57 psi on the gauge and cuts in at 37.
With the flow throttled down, the pressure comes up to about 45 psi and holds for a spell. I walked away and something else and when I came back the pressure was down to like 42 psi. The generator then started hunting for fuel and I run out to shut it down.

So, overall, I would guess it is working just fine. I'm happy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks