70 year old Cast Iron Boot Vent can it be reused

Users who are viewing this thread

spongevent

Reaction score
I am replacing extra thin Cast iron pipe with PVC. its full of pinholes and cracks.

The old vent pipe is 4 inch Cast Iron ; the Boot is made of cast iron;
and the 4 inch pipe is just pushed through and sealed with tar. That's what it looks like
the vent is probably blocked by bird droppings. We had a sever thunderstorm last night and no water dripped down the vent.
Can I pull the cast iron out and slide the PVC through and just reseal it with Tar ?
I heard that PVC is Sun light sensitive; can the 18 inches poking through be damaged by the sun ?
I will screen vent cap the new vent to keep the birds off of it.
I am dizzy; and don't want to climb up the ladder any more than I have to.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSC01612+++Attic Vent+Post this one.jpg
    DSC01612+++Attic Vent+Post this one.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 393

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I do not see anything that makes me think the boot is "cast iron" and IF it were it would be the only one I have ever seen. Usually they were lead around a cast iron pipe but it could be tin with tar. You put a coat of paint on the exposed part of the vent. IF you are "dizzy; and don't want to climb up the ladder any more than I have to", do NOT climb up on the ladder at all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks