70% markup over retail for Delta tub fittings?

Users who are viewing this thread

AcidWater

Reaction score
Got a bid of $915 to remove the old rough-in valve (from the back of the wall) & replace all the fittings. - they supplied builder grade Moen fittings. I said I want Delta "Dorval" fittings... and they want another $1970. The Delta webpage lists the retail price for the four items I want totalling $1150. A 70% markup over retail seems excessive.

But its been impossible to find someone to do this work, going in from the backside thru the tile in the other bathroom. I did find Mid Century Modern replacement tiles.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Where are you located at?
Maybe I should fly out there. Or maybe Master Plumber Mark wants to take a trip. I'm in the Seattle area, and as much money as there is here, it seems high even for us.

1-seattle-rainier.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That might mean a 100% markup over their costs, which is about what a lot of "big companies" are charging here, (they have to pay for their TV commercials). They charge $6,000.00 for a 1,300.00 tankless heater installed, also.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That might mean a 100% markup over their costs, which is about what a lot of "big companies" are charging here, (they have to pay for their TV commercials). They charge $6,000.00 for a 1,300.00 tankless heater installed, also.

Well.........it might be $6,000 but what about the $50 coupon?

AcidWater

Reaction score
But seriously -- is this highway robbery? Three grand for a one-day job? Maybe two half days if they need to wait for the glue to dry on the Kerdiboard before tiling it?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They deduct the $50.00 coupon from the $75.00 "show up/diagnostic" fee. You are dealing with the "new" flat rate, everyone pays the same amount, regardless of whether your job takes 45 minutes or 4 hours, (and I have seen that disparity between two customers with the "same job").

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks