7 gpm sufficient for 55 gallon tub filler?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Here's what I'm thinking. California faucets makes a 1/2 inch thermostatic valve with a built in 2-way non sharing diverter on top that can pass about 7gpm, and a tub filler on the bottom than can pass about 11gpm. I will have a handshower, a regular shower, and a tub filler in this setup. I would like to be able to run the hand shower and main shower at the same time, but in california, this would be against code, hence the non-sharing diverter. However it does not appear to be a code issue where I am, in NY.

My idea is to run the hand shower to the tub filler valve, and the tub filler to one side of the diverter. Since I can't think of a reason to fill the tub while the main shower is running, I think it could work, but the flow to the tub would be restricted to 7gpm.

Also would be interested to hear about alternative ideas. I have tried to avoid a multi volume control setup because the added cost of additional roughs and trims is expensive.

This is the valve:
https://www.calfaucets.com/bathroom...s-and-integral-single-volume-control-th52d2-r

Thanks!

DIYoB

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless you remove or drill out the restrictor in any shower head, they're limited to 2.5gpm each...so, why worry if the valve will flow that amount?

ON a tub filler, it's nice to have the maximum amount, but that can make a big difference when you have a large tub if you can get more. Unless you have a tankless unit that can't keep up!

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Unless you remove or drill out the restrictor in any shower head, they're limited to 2.5gpm each...so, why worry if the valve will flow that amount?

ON a tub filler, it's nice to have the maximum amount, but that can make a big difference when you have a large tub if you can get more. Unless you have a tankless unit that can't keep up!

To be clear, the shower/handshower should work on any ports, but in order to have the handshower and main shower on at the same time, I would need to put one of them on the 10.5gpm port intended for the tub filler, which would mean putting the tub filler on the 7gpm port. The question is, should this be a showstopper?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks