6x6 post attached to bedrock

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I've got shallow ground here, 10" to bedrock. I want to hang a 10ft gate on a 6" diameter post that I'm attachiung to the rock with a Simpson cleat made for that size. The single 5" bolt into the rock is holding well but I want to secure the cleat further and prevent it from turning at all. THis gate wil not be used regularly, it's more for appearance but it will need to swing open occasionally. I've thought I might use metal/concrete epoxy unter the cleat and then use the two or three bags of cement I was planning to surround the post with in any case. Also to run counter-weight 45degree off the back side to prevent the whole thing from pulling up the block of cement. Any thoughts? Really appreciate it.

Reach4

Reaction score
I did not find the Simpson product.

Would an additional masonry screw or anchor add the twist protection?
tapcon-masonry-concrete-anchors-50426-64_145.jpg

Reaction score
I did not find the Simpson product.

Would an additional masonry screw or anchor add the twist protection?
tapcon-masonry-concrete-anchors-50426-64_145.jpg
The Simpson product is black for decorative surface mount and very expensive, $38.
It's got a center hole I'm using a 5/8 expanding bolt for and I just deciced to drill aan offset 3/8 hole for a additional expansion bolt to keep it steady. We'll see...I'm doing the best I can with what I have to work with! Thanks for chiming in.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Instead of using a cheat use two pieces of 2" angle iron 4 ' long lag bolted to each side of the 6 by run them parrell with the gate anchored in the bedrock with premix cement covering and filling in gaps. To level up the angle iron use anchors that 1/2" allthread can be screwed into them and leveled with nuts and washers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks