60's Vintage Cast Iron Shower & Toilet Drain Relocate Under Concrete

Users who are viewing this thread

Paul Fithian

Reaction score
Lot of progress recently, drains finished, concrete poured, and AAV installed on the lav drain line.

Closer inspection of the vertical 4” CI drain coming from the second floor revealed it is vented at the top at the elbow transition to horizontal at the top of this room.

7E76130E-C160-4920-8621-25A880626AB7.jpeg

02238CB2-BAE6-4F93-8B09-487960A491B7.jpeg

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
That is called a low heel outlet fitting. Its usually used to vent a toilet trap arm.

Paul Fithian

Reaction score
Thanks Tuttles, I am learning so much here.

So with this vent, and the new AAV that I installed on the adjacent lav drain, I meet the current code for venting?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the upstairs stack drains through the same drain that the toilet and shower lines connects to without a vent between the two connections in the same way it was installed prior to your start of work, then no. not to the letter of the law as Wayne noted.

as noted it will function as it has in the past.

you may never notice any affect of the venting. maybe the pipes being 4" and therefore HUGELY oversized for 2 bathrooms if you consider the fixture units allowed on 4" vs 3".. do toilets even need venting besides to allow air to be pushed? Engineers supposedly design these things.. but each and every code has variations of things allowed in one county but not allowed in the next. are people exposed to more harm? I've seen plenty of vent stacks used as drains for attic bathrooms. But I can't install that way and get inspections.. so the advice given here needs to be done in such a way as to help the end user stay within the law as best as possible. Sorry for the long windedness there.

Paul Fithian

Reaction score
Wanted to thank all for your help, and post a couple of pictures of the finished bathroom.

This got heavy use over the holidays and worked out great. Relocating the drains under the concrete enabled installation of a full size shower in this small bathroom.

Fithian Shower Glass 1.jpg
Fithian Shower Glass 2.jpg
Fithian Sink 1.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thats a nice looking bathroom! And there's a bit of engineering into that folding glass shower door!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks