60” x 32” alcove shower pan install

Users who are viewing this thread

Felix

Reaction score
Hi All. Any ideas on how to lower down/install a fairly heavy 60” x 32” shower base (with a built in seat) onto a bed of mortar without disturbing the floor mud mortar too much? The space is an alcove (stud walls on three sides), so very tight. Cheers.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Those are hard to install with the three sides already in place. I normally set in dry, mark and shim to level, then lift out, and figure out where the piles of mortar will go. They need to be spaced so that they squish out and conform, allowing the pan to drop all the way down, and yet providing support for most of it. When it sets up, it will be like a rock.

Felix

Reaction score
Those are hard to install with the three sides already in place. I normally set in dry, mark and shim to level, then lift out, and figure out where the piles of mortar will go. They need to be spaced so that they squish out and conform, allowing the pan to drop all the way down, and yet providing support for most of it. When it sets up, it will be like a rock.
Great advice, cheers!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I set them like Terry , Plus I'll put a block on the corners so mud doesn't get deformed then when its basically in pull blocks and gently squish pan down , at least that's the plan

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocknroj

Reaction score
What kind of mortar is proper for that, regular or modified or does it matter? Did a delta a while back and they specifically stated not to use modified thinset.

Felix

Reaction score

Thanks. I am concerned how I am going to lower down this heavy shower base (with seat) within an already tight fitting 3 stud wall alcove, onto mortar piles. Was thinking of first using a self levelling compound on the alcove area which will at least level the floor and make the pressure on the shower base ‘feet” more even if I can’t get the mortar piles in place. Would welcome opinions on what would be best. Is self levelling compound strong enough to support a 100lb shower base in the long term without cracking?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks. I am concerned how I am going to lower down this heavy shower base (with seat) within an already tight fitting 3 stud wall alcove, onto mortar piles. Was thinking of first using a self levelling compound on the alcove area which will at least level the floor and make the pressure on the shower base ‘feet” more even if I can’t get the mortar piles in place. Would welcome opinions on what would be best. Is self levelling compound strong enough to support a 100lb shower base in the long term without cracking?
If you use a self levelling first, it will conform like a liquid to the subfloor and transfer the load of the shower and mortar used to fill gaps. Just be careful to prep the floor first so the self leveller doesn't disapear through gaps in the floor.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had a Tight shower fit last month hadent actually done one in a while, i actually notched a couple studs with my hole hawg and ripped them a bit with skill saw about 1/2 inch deep then I built it back up with furring sounds like a lot but it was pretty minor I thought I might sister one stud but really wasent nesesarry wasent a bearing wall anyway. the pan can be very hard to manuener in place, you might have to get agressive

Felix

Reaction score
I had a Tight shower fit last month hadent actually done one in a while, i actually notched a couple studs with my hole hawg and ripped them a bit with skill saw about 1/2 inch deep then I built it back up with furring sounds like a lot but it was pretty minor I thought I might sister one stud but really wasent nesesarry wasent a bearing wall anyway. the pan can be very hard to manuener in place, you might have to get agressive
One other thing I was thinking about. Should a frame be built to align with the space under the fiberglass shower base seat to give it more support and reduce the risk of cracking?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks