60 Amp Subpanel

Users who are viewing this thread

Jazzman

Reaction score
Hi there, I’m trying to upgrade the power to my small workshop behind my house. The wire distance about 90 feet. I was wondering if #6 THHN would be adequate for a 60 amp sub panel. I’ll be running a 3 hp table saw, 2HP jointer, and will probably installing a Minisplit in the future for heat and ac.

Thanks!

Afjes

Reaction score
#6 is usually good for 60amps. 90 feet should be just shy of any voltage drop.
How will you be running the power to the workshop which i assume is to a detached building?

If in conduit you have to use THWN rated. 4 wires, two hots, one neutral and a ground; if in metal conduit I believe even to a detached structure the metal conduit (if uninterrupted) can be used as the ground.

As far as if 60amps will be sufficient for the types of devices you will be using I would suggest doing a load calculation first to see if 60amps will be enough. Only under a very few circumstances (new code) are you allowed to run more than one circuit to a detached structure so be sure you have it right.

Jazzman

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for all of the helpful information! There is some existing 1” metal conduit that runs from house to shop. However, it has romex in it #12. I was going to try and attach new wire to romex and pull it through to shop.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for all of the helpful information! There is some existing 1” metal conduit that runs from house to shop. However, it has romex in it #12. I was going to try and attach new wire to romex and pull it through to shop.

Running four #6 can be quite a chore in a 1". The existing NMC can get in the way. Do as you suggest, use it as a puller but this is a two man job. One to pull and one to feed. You may want to use some wire puller lubricant. THWN will have a clear plastic wrap or coating to help it slide inside the conduit. You can use either THHN or THWN with THWN the minimum. The difference is its temperature rating.

#6, will it be aluminum or copper wire? Check this chart out.

Just note that usually both power tools will not be running at the same time. I'm assuming the 3HP table saw is 220v? Mini splits are quite efficient and most only need 120 v line on a 15 amp circuit. Another note, at the sub panel, the neutral and ground conductors cannot be tie together. Only at the main panel.

Just some helpful information. https://www.familyhandyman.com/list/what-to-know-about-burying-underground-electrical-cable/

Afjes

Reaction score
If you do use any pull lubricant be sure you use ONLY what is made for pulling electrical lines/cables. Something like this. You DO NOT want to use something else other than something like this because it may contain something that could and probably will degrade the insulation on the wires/cable over time. Electrical pull lube is made specifically so this does not happen.

Jazzman

Reaction score
Thanks for the continuing electrical advice!
I’ll be using copper wire for 85’ runs. Lowes has #4 and #6 Southwire THHN for the same price. I was wondering if I should go with #4 because of the voltage drop drop at 85. I might be fighting getting it through existing rigid metal conduit which I checked is rated at maximum at four #4 wires. Ground wire will be #8 though.

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks