6 Month cheapo pump update

Users who are viewing this thread

2stupid2fixit

Reaction score
Sometimes questions are asked in this forum about cheap deep well pumps. Many places sell cheap pumps that enable youtube video posters of some schmuck rasing up a dead pump and changing it out lickety split. The videos on youtube don't show you the guy that followed a video and accidentally dropped his old pump through a living room in China. Skill is required for this. Valveman and reach4 might remember when I had no money and bought a $150 Hallmark MA0459X-14A to replace my 1/2 horse 1970s Golds/Franklin.

This is not an advertisement for this particular pump. It's just an update of where I am 6 months after lowering this ebay find into my 250 foot well.

The power-on surge amperage draw is the same as the day I installed it within 2-3% give or take.
The running current draw has not changed, it is within 2% of when I first installed it.
The output pressure has not changed.

The well professionals around me told me to never waste a penny on garbage as I bought, but I can tell you this in my little update...

Either I have been very fortunate, or the variables that make cheap pumps work have, so far, been in my favor. I did somehow by accident end up with a much more powerful brand new and free hallmark 2hp replacement pump in storage and waiting to be dropped down on the day this 3/4 horse quits. From an accounting perspective, as of right now I am still ahead of the game. Back to the pump's construction... The wire harness on a Nintendo controller looked to have better engineering behind it. I think it's 14ga stranded. I connected that to the 10 ga solid wire that went back to my house and felt silly. The outlet adapter and "internal check valve" look to be made of a cheaper plastic than disposable packing material. Hallmark tech support even tells purchasers "do not rely on the internal check valve, there is a sticker on the pump that says an external check valve is required".

It is still working just fine.

I am NOT endorsing this pump for any personal gain whatsoever, I am simply providing a status update on a cheap deep submersible as promised.

I will let you know 6 months from now if my 3/4 hallmark pump is working without any issues, and immediately when it does crap out.

Sidenote:
I had lots of time on my hands (no, I was not in prison) and I like to read everything I can. For no good reason, I studied all the material I could find for the education track of NGWA's Certified Pump Installer. I will be taking the exam in the quick future. Will I ever install professionally or need my certification in a professional setting? Probably never. Maybe Amish thinking has overtaken how I operate because I refuse to own anything that I cannot repair myself. I have the ability to yank up a cheap dead pump and slap on another free cheap soon-to-be-dead pump, but your mileage may vary.

manzuk

Reaction score
I just purchased the hallmark pump, $180. It's winter so I can just drop it in, no control box necessary expect control valve and hope it last for 6 months till summer. I have a shallow 30 ft well so easy in easy out. I could not believe the 16 g wiring in the pump. Even 14 g wouldn't be more expensive and at least has some firmness to the wires. It's Dec 21, 21. Have my fingers crossed till July or so. I bought it online so will post the 16 g cheap wiring and also email hallmark. There is no excuse for at least 14 g.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Small wire helps when you are trying to make everything fit inside a 3.5" diameter motor. Probably could make larger wire fit, but there is not much space inside those motors. Actually small wire may help. It limits the in rush current and works like a soft starter. The longer piece of the smallest wire possible for the HP pump you have makes for a good soft starter, so maybe a short piece of really small wire does the same thing.

Reach4

Reaction score
stranded vs. solid copper makes a big difference when mentioning gauge
Why do you say that? They have the same amount of copper per foot. At 60 Hz, the skin effect is insignificant.

Stranded 12 AWG is larger diameter than solid 12 AWG.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks